During an interview, is it appropriate to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopept2019

Reaction score
I was recently accepted to a school that has rolling admissions. I have an interview at another school next week that does not have rolling admissions. I'd prefer to go to the school that I'm interviewing at next week but I only have until 1/15/19 to commit to the first school. During my interview next week, is it appropriate to mention to school #2 that I was accepted at school #1 but would really like to go to school #2 so I'd be thrilled to get their decision prior to 1/15/19? Or would that be considered poor form and potentially hurt my chances at school #2?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You can ask at the end of the interview: "when should I expect to hear back from you regarding your decision?"

Reactions: 2 users
You can ask at the end of the interview: "when should I expect to hear back from you regarding your decision?"

Do this ^.
In addition, don't mention school #1 at all & go ahead and commit to school #1 (if they send out decisions later than the 15th/just in case school #2 doesn't accept you).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely don't mention school #1, this could hurt your chances at school #2 and possibly make them less likely to want to accept you because you are already holding acceptances elsewhere. Most schools have the January 15th deposit deadline, so your top choice school will already know that many of their candidates are going to need to submit deposits by then.

Thank you all for your feedback. The direction is clear and I'm glad I asked!

I was recently accepted to a school that has rolling admissions. I have an interview at another school next week that does not have rolling admissions. I'd prefer to go to the school that I'm interviewing at next week but I only have until 1/15/19 to commit to the first school. During my interview next week, is it appropriate to mention to school #2 that I was accepted at school #1 but would really like to go to school #2 so I'd be thrilled to get their decision prior to 1/15/19? Or would that be considered poor form and potentially hurt my chances at school #2?

Absolutely yes --ask! Schools (and CAPTE) are aware of the quandary that applicants are in with the interview/decision cycle. It is absolutely appropriate to politely inquire each school about when you can expect to hear a decision as a means to deconflict your decisions. Schools know that this process does not occur in a vacuum--ie, that they're not the only program involved in your life right now. Applicants should reasonably expect feedback on program decisions, and programs should reasonably provide them.

Over the last 9-10 years, PTCAS has enabled the adoption of a reasonable schedule of application deadlines that applicants must meet. We may see one day program "decision deadlines" that programs may/should/must meet that would help applicants navigate multiple program applications. My philosophy until then is that applicants with multiple competing offers should be provided with timely info on program decisions. PTCAS now allows us to see applicants with competing offers; a compelling reason to accelerate decision processes to aid applicants.

2 cents!

Absolutely yes --ask! Schools (and CAPTE) are aware of the quandary that applicants are in with the interview/decision cycle. It is absolutely appropriate to politely inquire each school about when you can expect to hear a decision as a means to deconflict your decisions. Schools know that this process does not occur in a vacuum--ie, that they're not the only program involved in your life right now. Applicants should reasonably expect feedback on program decisions, and programs should reasonably provide them.

Over the last 9-10 years, PTCAS has enabled the adoption of a reasonable schedule of application deadlines that applicants must meet. We may see one day program "decision deadlines" that programs may/should/must meet that would help applicants navigate multiple program applications. My philosophy until then is that applicants with multiple competing offers should be provided with timely info on program decisions. PTCAS now allows us to see applicants with competing offers; a compelling reason to accelerate decision processes to aid applicants.

2 cents!

Thank you very much for your feedback! I really appreciate your view. Am I understanding your last sentence correctly in that "my" school #2 will see in PTCAS that school #1 has already offered me a spot?