DVM/PhD Dual Programs?

Started by cjs2443
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cjs2443

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!

I'm applying for veterinary school this fall and am looking into the DVM/PhD programs. I pursued behavioral research in undergrad and really enjoyed it and feel that it might be something I would like to do in addition to a DVM. I'm interested in wildlife and conservation, but not quite sure how the PhD part would be of much help there.

Basically, I want to know if anyone has any experience in a DVM/PhD program.
If you are in it, how is it going? Is the work load crazy? What do you plan to do with it?

I can think of multiple benefits for DVM with a PhD in biomedical research, but I was reaching on figuring out the benefits for conservation or wildlife. I suppose maybe doing an epidemiology or husbandry route could bridge the gap?

Anyone else out there considering a dual degree?