DVM PhD Programs

Started by Dvmphd
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dvmphd

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone has interviewed for these programs before. I am a final candidate at VMRCVM and ColoState. 🙂 They seem like pretty intense interviews...meeting with faculty members etc. But they pay for my trip! Which is fun!
 
I was thinking about applying to PhD programs, but I think I would rather do clinical work with some research on the side (which I've heard is possible) than 100% research. Also, I'm interested in pursuing an internship/residency, so I'm not sure if I want to be in school for the next ten years! :laugh:

What area are you interested in regarding research?

Also, congrats on getting on the short lists! I think it's pretty standard for PhD candidates to get paid to attend interviews/meetings with faculty at the school, but that's cool that it was done as part of a DVM/PhD program!
 
Also, congrats on getting on the short lists! I think it's pretty standard for PhD candidates to get paid to attend interviews/meetings with faculty at the school, but that's cool that it was done as part of a DVM/PhD program!

Yeah, the Ph.D. programs I've interviewed with pay for it as a matter of course. It's a whole different ballgame than vet school interviews - they're selling themselves to you a lot more as long as you don't have three heads or something. I pretty much had bright purple hair at a Ph.D. interview at Iowa State (not known for social liberalism :laugh:) and was accepted with fellowship.

Good luck with CSU and VMRCVM, OP! I had crap for undergrad grades and wasn't interviewed for the DVM/Ph.D. programs I applied to, but usually if they interview they are really seriously considering you so you've got half the battle down. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oooh, ooh! I'm hoping to apply to some next year... if I can get the nerve up! I'm still wavering between just doing a ton of research work and clinical (because I also want to do an internship, haha), or maybe getting a Masters in comparative stuff rather than PhD. I'm kind of in a bind - I really want to do research on reproductive biology and behavior, and basically how molecular/genetics stuff affects the maternal behavior. However, I'm not finding a ton of that to be researched on, haha! I would like to put my efforts towards conservation medicine (i.e., breeding endangered animals), but again, that's so oddly specific that I'm not sure how it'll work out.

But regardless, I might be applying for some DVM-PhD programs.

And congrats!! Good luck with those - they sound like great programs!