DVM vs. BVSc

Started by darren1228
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

darren1228

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am thinking about applying to a couple of international vet schools. I've done my research and so far it seems that a BVSc degree (at fully accredited universities) is exactly equivalent to a DVM degree. Is there anything that I'm missing? I find it hard to believe that it is exactly equivalent. Are there any disadvantages for a BVSc degree as opposed to a DVM degree? Thanks 🙂
 
The only disadvantage I could think of is that, if you were to practice in the states, a lot of clients and coworkers would ask what a BVSc is. I don't think the average U.S. citizen sees "BVSc" and thinks "DVM." Other than that... there's not really a difference!
 
The only disadvantage I could think of is that, if you were to practice in the states, a lot of clients and coworkers would ask what a BVSc is. I don't think the average U.S. citizen sees "BVSc" and thinks "DVM." Other than that... there's not really a difference!

The average American can barely spell veterinarian. Don't worry about it. You can still call yourself doctor so and so.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I am thinking about applying to a couple of international vet schools. I've done my research and so far it seems that a BVSc degree (at fully accredited universities) is exactly equivalent to a DVM degree. Is there anything that I'm missing? I find it hard to believe that it is exactly equivalent. Are there any disadvantages for a BVSc degree as opposed to a DVM degree? Thanks 🙂

They are 100% equivalent. It won't have any bearing on your practice. If you have any doubts whatsoever.. why not contact someone who works in the US who has one and ask them. 👍

Example: Dr. Heath Stump, BVMS
 
some people might ask you why you're a bvsc rather than a dvm, but the degrees are equivalent.

most people don't consider the advantages of earning a bvsc. you get to live and study overseas for 5 years, for one. and if earned in australia, a bvsc is recognised not only by the commonwealth, but also nz, uk and north america, among others. at murdoch uni, we're also getting a visit from the eu accrediting body in 2009.

out of curiosity, anybody know if american schools hold any accreditations other than avma? what are the options for practicing overseas with a dvm/vmd?
 
some people might ask you why you're a bvsc rather than a dvm, but the degrees are equivalent.

most people don't consider the advantages of earning a bvsc. you get to live and study overseas for 5 years, for one. and if earned in australia, a bvsc is recognised not only by the commonwealth, but also nz, uk and north america, among others. at murdoch uni, we're also getting a visit from the eu accrediting body in 2009.

out of curiosity, anybody know if american schools hold any accreditations other than avma? what are the options for practicing overseas with a dvm/vmd?

You're absolutely correct. You will graduate with way more options as the Australian/NZ vet degrees are way more recognized internationally than any American vet degree program.
 
Thanks for the advice everyone! International vet schools just got a lot more enticing! 🙂