E-book vs physical textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pelado

Reaction score
Re: buying physical copies of books when you have access to the digital copies.

How do y'all decide? Dya just wait till first week? Any must have physical texts?

I'm assuming I should buy a copy of the physical text for dissecting in gross anatomy...but everything else I think might be moot. What say y'all?

Best,
DG

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait and see what is actually required for most classes, I used my dissection book approximately 0 times during all of anatomy, but it depends on your school, some might require you to use it.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks yeah while volunteering with some 2nd years yesterday, they said I didn't really need any of them (especially the dissector book). They did tell me which three would be nice to have simply because of the amount they're used over the course of the program: MMT & goni books for tests and measures and future classes, and my exer phys book since the prof is notorious for scheduled and pop quizzes.

I guess for anyone reading this today in 2019 or a few years from now---
1) Scour the net for PDFs
2) Ask the class above you if you *need* a physical copy
3) Check the uni library
4) Rent or buy

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely talk to the class above you about what books they actually needed and I wouldn’t buy the booms until at least the first day. We didn’t have to bring our dissectors into lab because they already had them at each tank, so I just got a cheap online version to do my pre-readings from. This semester, the second years recommended a physical copy of a book because it would be used during skills lab and a computer would be too much of a hassle, but I am using my ipad for those days. Definitely ask around and if you really need the book, find the free pdfs online or see if other classes have any ebooks they are willing to send your way.

Email me if you are looking for a good site to get pdfs from.

I bought 2 books throughout PT school and regret buying even those 2. 1 was a dissection manual, by the way - completely useless book with drawn pictures and a few photographs (better visual can be found online). My school had all the material needed for exams posted online (although they would always say in syllabus that books are "required."). Ebook vs physical book is just a personal preference.
Also if you must buy a book, older editions may cost $1 and have exact same information as the newest edition for $100.

Be cautious about some of the books in PDF format that are out on the internet. I say this because some of them contain links with viruses/malware. Be sure to check the domain before clicking. Some domains are rather risky.