deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you all use as your e-mail signature?

Here's mine:

Name
College Name
Name of School of Medicine
MD Candidate, class of 2014
cell: (123) 456-7890
e-mail: [email protected]

How about waiting til you *start* medical school later this year?
Have you already graduated from college??
Piece of advice: this looks like serious bragging to me, please try to cut it, it is unattractive.
All best
fMRI

I don't use a signature.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a ridiculous question to be asking on a pre-medical forum.

I don't use a signature.

This. If I'm communicating with administrators or professors I use my legal name (I normally go by my middle name) and, if pertinent, will throw in my ID number. If I need to let someone know about my school/grad year (e.g. for Psych/Behavior system we're required to observe an AA or NA meeting which requires coordination with the people running that meeting), I'll normally mention it in the first sentence of the body of my email. I'm a student. I don't feel the need to brag that some school has given me the privilege to pay them $50k a year for 4 years.

This. If I'm communicating with administrators or professors I use my legal name (I normally go by my middle name) and, if pertinent, will throw in my ID number. If I need to let someone know about my school/grad year (e.g. for Psych/Behavior system we're required to observe an AA or NA meeting which requires coordination with the people running that meeting), I'll normally mention it in the first sentence of the body of my email. I'm a student. I don't feel the need to brag that some school has given me the privilege to pay them $50k a year for 4 years.

Exactly!

For school purposes, use the email provided by the school (not a commercial or another provider). It might already violate school policy if this person communicates with that signature already. But let him/her learn the hard way.

It's still March, they haven't even matriculated yet... Why would anyone need this signature??
It's freshers' behavior all over again... :sleep:

Why can't they just send everybody an email saying that they are happy they got in somewhere and leave it at that? :laugh:

Last edited:

Here's mine:

Name
College Name

This is not straying far from being tool-ish. But I know a sophomore in undergrad who actually has a mini resume as her signature which includes every club and position she has had on campus (and none of them are big positions like VP, secretary, treasure, etc)! :smack:

When I actually start med school, I plan to have a very simple, yet tasteful signature! No need for excessive bragging!

Reactions: 1 user

Here's mine:

Name
College Name

Either this:

.One never notices what has been done; .
.one can only see what remains to be done..
.- Curie

or

.All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - Poe.

or

.There are more things in heaven and earth, .
.Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. .
.- Hamlet

depending on how I feel. Just feels nice to end with something I believe in.

Hope2008
Orland High School
Diploma Candidate
President of Debate Club
President of Orland Pre-Health Club
President of Interact club
SAT Score:2300
ACT Score:36
Accepted to Harvard, Yale, Stanford.
Future Premed
Nationally Recognized scholar
Publication on American Society of Microbiology
Phone # 432423432423432 (Home)
432423423432423 (Business)
[email protected]

No fancy signature. If I want to include my cell number, I do in the body of the email. Otherwise it's just first and last name, or first name if I know the person well.

Here's mine:

Name
College Name
I have no idea why ppl r responding the way they r.
Your proposed signature is exactly what i used during school, and what most medical students use.

A proper email sig will be necessary, especially during ur clinical yrs when u begin communications with attendings, program directors, chairmens, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your proposed signature is exactly what i used during school, and what most medical students use.

A proper email sig will be necessary, especially during ur clinical yrs when u begin communications with attendings, program directors, chairmens, etc.
but leave out ur undergrad.

Well I am still a pre-med so my sig is

Name
School name and C'2011
What kind of Scholar I am
The research scholar I am
An Article I written with the link, lol
My email address
My phone number

This is currently my signature as of right now and people always have positive things to say about it too :D

Your sig is not a mini-CV. You leave out the email in signatures because that information is contained in the header. It's unnecessary. Also, only grad students about to graduate use "PhD candidate" but med students shouldn't use "MD candidate" ever. The school is usually unnecessary because it's contained in the domain name of the email address. If you're using a gmail address, you may insert it in there.

Proper sig should look like this.

Ash Ketchum
MS-IV
(222) 222-2222

or

Ash Ketchum
University of Pewter City Medical School
Class of 2012
(222) 222-2222

your sig is not a mini-cv. You leave out the email in signatures because that information is contained in the header. It's unnecessary. Also, only grad students about to graduate use "phd candidate" but med students shouldn't use "md candidate" ever. The school is usually unnecessary because it's contained in the domain name of the email address. If you're using a gmail address, you may insert it in there.

+1

Your sig is not a mini-CV. You leave out the email in signatures because that information is contained in the header. It's unnecessary.

Not always.

Outlook doesn't always show email addresses (I think if they are already in your contacts?) and won't print them either. While you can change it, it's pretty buried and most people don't know how.

It's also a problem when you forward emails, depending on the program and how it's done it does not preserve header information.

Not always.

Outlook doesn't always show email addresses (I think if they are already in your contacts?) and won't print them either. While you can change it, it's pretty buried and most people don't know how.

It's also a problem when you forward emails, depending on the program and how it's done it does not preserve header information.

First, if you're using Outlook and don't know how to find contact email addresses, you need to take the tutorial. Contact email can be found by right clicking their names 99.9999% of the time.

Second, if you're putting unnecessary information in your signature - LOL. Name, tele/email is all you need. Unless you have a ****ing MD or PhD, there's no reason to brag about not being anything. Putting MD Candidate would be the same thing as me putting "Indy Lottery Contestant" in my sig.

I despise the use of signatures that include school info and degree candidates. Name, phone, e-mail is fine. If you have a degree that is applicable to the content of the e-mail (ie prof e-mailing students, doc e-mailing patients) then PhD or MD/DO after their name is appropriate. E-mailing your classmates, no one cares.

As a med student, I have never used a sig containing Med class of 20XX and can't think of a single e-mail where I needed it. If anything, I would have included it in the body of the e-mail. Hi doc Smith, I am a med student and was interested in working in your research lab.

First, if you're using Outlook and don't know how to find contact email addresses, you need to take the tutorial. Contact email can be found by right clicking their names 99.9999% of the time.

Second, if you're putting unnecessary information in your signature - LOL. Name, tele/email is all you need. Unless you have a ****ing MD or PhD, there's no reason to brag about not being anything. Putting MD Candidate would be the same thing as me putting "Indy Lottery Contestant" in my sig.

See, you agree:)

I used to work in IT, I have no problems with Outlook or its tricks, it's everyone else that make me want to shoot myself.

But knowing how to show a contact address only helps if you have the original, if it got printed without it or forwarded you are SOL.

Many of you are oversensitive about having a slightly descriptive signature in an email.

Ash Ketchum
University of Pewter City Medical School
Class of 2012
(222) 222-2222

This format is perfect.

Not always.

Some email programs will hide the email to shorten the headers. That doesn't mean you should include it because you can still find it. Gmail will auto-hide the subject, it doesn't mean I should include the subject in the body of my email.

Second, almost all programs will copy the "from" header when forwarding. If not, then you should get a better email client.

Yes, there are a few times when including an email is appropriate in a signature like when you are sending mail through a listserv. But for everyday email, leave it out.

Email address ranks up there with inspirational quotes as the most annoying thing to see in email signature lines.

email address ranks up there with inspirational quotes as the most annoying thing to see in email signature lines.

one never notices what has been done;
one can only see what remains to be done. - curie

all that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - poe

there are more things in heaven and earth,
than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- hamlet

oh burn

Status
Not open for further replies.