E-med books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nylee

Corean Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
hello aspiring E-med physicians! As a lowly MSIII, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for e-med texts or handbooks I could use during my clerkship. There are too many books that are available out there and I want to choose 1 or 2 that will help me most. So far, I've considered First Aid--Emergency Medicine.

Please leave your insights!

pinbor1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in doing EM as a potential career, I would recommend getting the pocket tintanelli or Just the Facts in EM. These are to great books to read up on your patients before you present. They may be a little to much to read if you are trying to pass a written exam. Another good book is something along the lines of "The Approach to Clinical Emergency Medicine" I don't remember the exact name but there is a new edition out this year. It gives you a good idea of the approach to working up specific chief complaints i.e. syncope, SOB, CP, abd pain, etc. Good luck

frog4brooke

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
there was a post on this a few weeks ago
you may want to do a search

F4B

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I have stated in other posts, I believe the "Top 30 Problems in EM" by EMRA is one of the highest yield pocketbooks in the universe of EM.

Now, 51 minutes after my 12 hour night shift, I leave SDN to play Unreal Tournament.

Q, DO

beyond all hope

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just enough information to be a textbook, but not too much you can't read it during a rotation. Also cheap (25$). Other possibilities are First Aid for Emergency Medicine.

Also a pocketbook such as EM Intern's Guide. You need at least one problem-based, rather than disease-based, text. Pts in EM present with problems that have almost uniform workups and the sooner you learn them, the better.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First Aid is too long for a medical student EM rotation. I'm with Quinn, Top 30 problems.....plus, if you sign up for EMRA, its free, my favorite price. (Trust me, I tried both.)