E-med books

Started by nylee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nylee

Corean Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello aspiring E-med physicians! As a lowly MSIII, I was wondering if you had any suggestions for e-med texts or handbooks I could use during my clerkship. There are too many books that are available out there and I want to choose 1 or 2 that will help me most. So far, I've considered First Aid--Emergency Medicine.

Please leave your insights!
 
If you are interested in doing EM as a potential career, I would recommend getting the pocket tintanelli or Just the Facts in EM. These are to great books to read up on your patients before you present. They may be a little to much to read if you are trying to pass a written exam. Another good book is something along the lines of "The Approach to Clinical Emergency Medicine" I don't remember the exact name but there is a new edition out this year. It gives you a good idea of the approach to working up specific chief complaints i.e. syncope, SOB, CP, abd pain, etc. Good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As I have stated in other posts, I believe the "Top 30 Problems in EM" by EMRA is one of the highest yield pocketbooks in the universe of EM.

Now, 51 minutes after my 12 hour night shift, I leave SDN to play Unreal Tournament.

Q, DO
 
Just enough information to be a textbook, but not too much you can't read it during a rotation. Also cheap (25$). Other possibilities are First Aid for Emergency Medicine.

Also a pocketbook such as EM Intern's Guide. You need at least one problem-based, rather than disease-based, text. Pts in EM present with problems that have almost uniform workups and the sooner you learn them, the better.