E-Submit or Wait???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jrod22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing up my application but I have one problem. I scored 155 on the verbal and 151 on the quantitative sections of the gre but I only scored 3.5 on the analytical writing section. For the schools I am applying to 4.0 is the minimum for the analytical writing and I only scored 3.5. So my question is should I wait until I retake the gre and score higher or should I put the planned test date for the retake then esubmit the application?

Members don't see this ad.

Schools are pretty strict when it comes to the test scores, so I would retake it for the Analytical. Your other scores are fine though.

Schools are pretty strict when it comes to the test scores, so I would retake it for the Analytical. Your other scores are fine though.

So should I wait until I retake the gre and get my scores back before I esubmit.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the MINIMUM is a 4.0 you need a 4.0. schools get many applications and one way to weed out a lot of them is to get rid of all the applications that don't meet the minimum requirements. Many school only require a 3.5 so maybe look in to those schools because your other scores are fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely wait to e-submit. There's no guarantee that the schools will look at your app once you update the GRE, if they have already weeded our your app in the meantime.

Agree on waiting. Something similar happened to me last year...I submitted to a bunch of schools....I knew I didn't meet the minimum in a certain section for 1 of the schools but was in the process of taking a class that would have fixed that issue. The school's deadline was not anywhere close to when I submitted but I ended up getting a "sorry, you didn't make it" letter right away. The school sees your application as complete when you submit it to them....they won't know or care to wait for another GRE, you WILL get rejected nearly automatically. Retake it quickly and then submit.