E-submitting before 2nd summer session ends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It says PTCAS will start mailing out applications on 8/1/12. Does this mean that I don't even need to e-submit until then, or can I e-submit ASAP after the application cycle opens? Also, would it be smarter to submit with my transcript before the 2nd summer session ends? It ends 8/10/12 for me. Thanks. I was reading about the academic update, but I don't know if that means once I submit that I can't make any changes to my coursework.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the exact same question regarding when to send transcripts. And then I saw this exchange from another PT hopeful and the verified Twitter account of PTCAS:
@name withheld If my summer semester grades aren't on my transcript untill August should I wait till then to apply? @ptcas
You have to make that decision. Be aware that you can update Planned/In Progress courses during Academic Update in Dec. RT @namewithheld

How confident are you that your school's registrar will be able to get the updated transcript out in time during the academic update window?
I am a worrier, so I am definitely not waiting until my summer grades are available. :)

I am taking 2 summer classes and I want to make sure these grades are on my transcript before I send it to ptcas. Summer session ends on August 3Rd, would it be possible to wait until then to send my transcript?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
i still dont understand. Does this mean if e-submit and send my transcript before my summer ends, then I can't send another transcript and update those grades until november? Basically saying I only have one chance and one chance only to e submit? This is annoying. I don't understand why I can't update whenever I want to . lol

I'm also very confused by this. My summer session ends on July 26th and I would very much like to have my transcript reflect the summer course grades before I submit it for PTCAS's review. And I don't really understand how this works: PTCAS encourages us to "not wait to e-submit" but should I submit before my summer grades are available? As the person above me said, will you then have to wait until December to update these grades? Arrrgh.

The way I see it, correct me if im wrong. But I am applying to 7 Illinois schools and only one is rolling admissions. So I think il wait until August 3Rd, until my summer class grades are ready. The deadline for esubmitting is in October and since only one school is rolling admissions, I think I will be fine sending in my transcripts in August

Someone has to have n answer lol I swear I have looked on the ptcas website and it is still gray area. They have the academic updates and that is understandable, but they don't address those who wish to update their "summer" transcripts. I mean what the point in their being academic updates if they are so far away from the application cycle opening? The schools will always see worse grade upon first looking at the application. This kind of needs to be addressed

Kind of off topic, but nismo13 which Illinois schools are you applying to?

Kind of off topic, but nismo13 which Illinois schools are you applying to?
Uic,governors state , Rosalind Franklin, northwestern , midwestern, Bradley

I applied last cycle so my basic ans will be from last year. when you enter your classes on the PTCAS course page you will list ALL classes/ALL schools (tedious) taken and PLANNED - anything that is not on a current transcript. You have to submit that in order for your app to be processed along w/ them receiving your official transcripts. Your file is incomplete if they don't have your transcripts, many have missed out of early decision due to late transcripts, so I don't recommend waiting. You can enter Planned courses for all the summer and this fall, I even entered for the spring of graduation year. Then in Dec when the AU opens you will send a new set of transcripts to PTCAS that will reflect all the summer and completed fall courses. you will then also be able to update the planned classes you have in PTCAS. the transcripts have to be received by sometime in Jan/Feb (check the instructions) PTCAS is pretty good about ans. your questions--per phone. I never bothered w/ emailing questions. They do have a facebook page which is helpful because alot of people ask questions and PTCAS answers. and the schools / dept are helpful as far as advising you as to what courses they need for prereqs. If not taken put them in the planned semester list.
I also found the program manual instructions for PT programs admin.......helpful from that prospective..... http://www.apta.org/uploadedFiles/A..._Resources/APTA/PTCAS/PTCAS_ProgramManual.pdf
You can try googling to find the new manual.........2012-13
READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS carefully and several times and while completing the app. It's easy to miss info. especially about which courses to use for the prereqs.

Good Luck I remember how stressful the application process was and the relief when done. Then the waiting begins. No finger nails left lol.

I applied last cycle so my basic ans will be from last year. when you enter your classes on the PTCAS course page you will list ALL classes/ALL schools (tedious) taken and PLANNED - anything that is not on a current transcript. You have to submit that in order for your app to be processed along w/ them receiving your official transcripts. Your file is incomplete if they don't have your transcripts, many have missed out of early decision due to late transcripts, so I don't recommend waiting. You can enter Planned courses for all the summer and this fall, I even entered for the spring of graduation year. Then in Dec when the AU opens you will send a new set of transcripts to PTCAS that will reflect all the summer and completed fall courses. you will then also be able to update the planned classes you have in PTCAS. the transcripts have to be received by sometime in Jan/Feb (check the instructions) PTCAS is pretty good about ans. your questions--per phone. I never bothered w/ emailing questions. They do have a facebook page which is helpful because alot of people ask questions and PTCAS answers. and the schools / dept are helpful as far as advising you as to what courses they need for prereqs. If not taken put them in the planned semester list.
I also found the program manual instructions for PT programs admin.......helpful from that prospective..... http://www.apta.org/uploadedFiles/A..._Resources/APTA/PTCAS/PTCAS_ProgramManual.pdf
You can try googling to find the new manual.........2012-13
READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS carefully and several times and while completing the app. It's easy to miss info. especially about which courses to use for the prereqs.

Good Luck I remember how stressful the application process was and the relief when done. Then the waiting begins. No finger nails left lol.
Yea I applied last year also, but I applied really late. I was accepted into a school but had to decline. So, should I put the classes as "planned" even if Ive already taken them and are just retaking them? Also, what if I have classes that I want to update that end right after the second AU ends? My college's winter quarter ends in late Feb, right after the 2nd AU ends. So, technically I won't be able to update those, unless maybe I can send my transcripts straight to the school. I'm guessing you had to do that since you put your spring graduation semester as "planned" also. These small things are the things that get me. Other than that, I know every inch of applying lol. yes, no nails after 7 months of waiting. Then, I finally get accepted and have to decline. Talk about ouch!

Litlwarrior, I also had a followup question. Many programs state that only two prerequisite courses can be outstanding at the time of application. While I know the best strategy is to contact the programs to which I'll be applying, do you know if summer courses for which transcripts have not been received would count as outstanding if you were also taking (a) prerequisite course in the fall?

Litlwarrior, I also had a followup question. Many programs state that only two prerequisite courses can be outstanding at the time of application. While I know the best strategy is to contact the programs to which I'll be applying, do you know if summer courses for which transcripts have not been received would count as outstanding if you were also taking (a) prerequisite course in the fall?

I think that is a gray area. If you've completed them but have not had the chance to submit the transcripts, I would definitely contact the program and tell them you will send a sealed transcript if needed. This academic update thing is so rediculously unnecessary

Thats a good question. Ask your schools. I had one school decline my ED because I had 4 instead of 3 outstanding clases in the fall and spring combined. THink I identified a psych class wrong. Should have put in gen psych class completed instead of the two higher level psys that were planned.SOme schools post that only spring classes are "outstanding". THe """at time of application""is the catch.

I think that is a gray area. If you've completed them but have not had the chance to submit the transcripts, I would definitely contact the program and tell them you will send a sealed transcript if needed. This academic update thing is so rediculously unnecessary

I like this idea, but some schools may not. I am quilty of doing this at least once w/ one school...lol think it may help w/ the feb transcripts coming out after the AU. Waiting for May is way too long too show you completed a prereq at that point in the cycle.

, should I put the classes as "planned" even if Ive already taken them and are just retaking them? Also, what if I have classes that I want to update that end right after the second AU ends? !

You will need to put in all your classes for the AU so its best to put them in now as planned. I don't remember if there is a "button" to indicate Retake. Your later classes may have to be just entered as planned as well. You could ask PTCAS. I like the idea in the other comment about sending the school the updated transcript---save yourself money and send an unofficial one -- since you are just informing them of your completion and grade. They will get the official tranny at the end of spring when you are ACCEPTED.

You will need to put in all your classes for the AU so its best to put them in now as planned. I don't remember if there is a "button" to indicate Retake. Your later classes may have to be just entered as planned as well. You could ask PTCAS. I like the idea in the other comment about sending the school the updated transcript---save yourself money and send an unofficial one -- since you are just informing them of your completion and grade. They will get the official tranny at the end of spring when you are ACCEPTED.

Thanks for the certitude lol. I am hoping to be accepted early like this fall so I can relax and put a deposit down and wait to see if an even better school accepts me. Thanks for the help brah

Heading off to my first sem. of DPT......orientation starts July 5th. Yeah ME......very stressed, hope to get a handle of time management and studying ASAP.

lol at the way you shortened the word transcript Litlwarrior08. Thanks for the response in the other thread about volunteering and best wishes with your start in clinical and DPT school.