e

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted850921

Hi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
as long as you're learning about the scientific process it doesn't matter what kind of lab you're in. Just focus on other parts of your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends really on what you want out of research. If you want wet-lab experience, then go for it. However it's fine if you don't since you're already in a lab (and presumably working on longer-term projects in it which is what medical schools would ask you about). In other words, don't do another research experience to make yourself look good for an app unless you are dead-set on doing wet-lab research because you're interested in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi peeps!

I just need some advice. So, I am still some time away from applying to med school. I have multiple leadership experiences, lots of clinical volunteer hours, not that many non-clinical hours (working on it), and research experience. However, my research is dry lab (still biomedically related though). Should I join another lab that'll give me wetlab experience as well? Or focus on other parts of my app and get more hours for other activities?

I've heard from some accepted students that having experiences in multiple labs is really good, but don't know how true that is.

Any thoughts and advice would be really, really appreciated. Thanks!

I've heard it depends on the kind of programs you're interested in and whether they are research-focused.

Reactions: 1 user
Just do something you're passionate about, I think that's more important (for you and for adcoms).

Having a focused, in-depth longitudinal experience is much better than being in multiple labs with multiple small projects. That's why it's really silly for some pre-meds to put getting those "prestigious" summer internships (Amgen, etc.) on a pedestal - if you can get funding to stay in your lab over the summer, no matter which university it's at or whether it's part of some "prestigious" program, and produce productive research that leads somewhere, then that's much better than getting a summer internship that ends after a few months and doesn't give you room to do anything meaningful. Publication-quality work takes a long time to produce - there's a lot of trial and error. You get there by putting in the time and effort over an extended period of time.