Earliest interview dates for dental schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caloriefree

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing that it's very important to get your completed applications in as early as possible (esp. if you have low stats, like myself) since they are considered on a rolling basis at most schools.

The schools I'm considering (Columbia, Buffalo, UoP etc) accept applications as early as May 15th. However, the earliest date that my school's health committee starts sending committee letters is late August.

So, my questions are...

1) How important is it to apply early? Would you recommend that I apply early around June w/o the committee letter (i.e. just send three LORs directly)? or should I wait until late August? Would you think there would be a significant advantage applying real early (~June) vs. late August?

2) For those of you who have had applied early in the past, when did you get your first interview date/rejection letters?? Please tell me the dates & schools if you don't mind.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

It is critical that you send the applications early because that will be when the most spots will be available. The later you apply the more applicants you will be competing for fewer spots. Some of the applicants that don't get interviews right away are still constantly reviewed.

I applied on June 15th. But sent my DAT scores late august. I was notified of the interview invite at Buffalo late september.

i agree with blankguy. i also think applying early is more important.

you can check our predent profiles to see what date we submitted and the dates we interviewed.

the predent profiles also tell you the time of rejections. for my rejection dates i put the date that it says on the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would absolutely apply in June rather then August. However an incomplete application is just about as good as no application so make sure that you do it right the first time.

My first interview was early September. I can't remember when I was contacted, maybe 2-3 weeks beforehand?

Thanks for the input guys. I just emailed my undergrad committee if they could send the letter by June. So we'll see.

So, is it true that dental schools don't even look at your file until it is complete complete? including official transcripts, official DAT scores etc before giving out invites?

caloriefree,
if you are not going to complete your all the application materials right away, send the AADSAS application with transcripts, and LOR at the earliest possible time since that will take the longest to process and mail to schools. The DAT scores are mailed directly from the testing service to the schools so it will be the fastest.

Thanks for the input guys. I just emailed my undergrad committee if they could send the letter by June. So we'll see.

So, is it true that dental schools don't even look at your file until it is complete complete? including official transcripts, official DAT scores etc before giving out invites?

i didnt personally call every school and ask them, but i am pretty sure that they will not look at your file until it is complete.

you can call again just to make sure. things might change between the 08 and 09 cycle.

caloriefree,
if you are not going to complete your all the application materials right away, send the AADSAS application with transcripts, and LOR at the earliest possible time since that will take the longest to process and mail to schools. The DAT scores are mailed directly from the testing service to the schools so it will be the fastest.

how long did it take for your AADSAS application w/ transcripts to get processed? How long do they take normally? I'm planning to send this semester's grades, which will be available around late-May..

would it be wise to get my other transcripts sent in to the AADSAS right now and send this semester's grades later to be added on? Would this expedite the process compared to doing it all at once at the end of May?

Thanks again!

how long did it take for your AADSAS application w/ transcripts to get processed? How long do they take normally? I'm planning to send this semester's grades, which will be available around late-May..

would it be wise to get my other transcripts sent in to the AADSAS right now and send this semester's grades later to be added on? Would this expedite the process compared to doing it all at once at the end of May?

Thanks again!

I think AADSAS says it can take upto 4 weeks to process your transcripts. But, for some people it is faster and some people it is slower.

here is a list of my stuff:

05/30/2007 - AADSAS recieved one of my transcript
06/08/2007 - AADSAS recieved my LORs
06/08/2007 - AADSAS recieved another transcript
06/25/2007 - AADSAS mailed out my appication

i guess i was one of the lucky ones. my transcripts were processed quickly?

i have no idea what AADSAS would do if they got your transcripts right now? they might throw it away? call them and ask?

I think AADSAS says it can take upto 4 weeks to process your transcripts. But, for some people it is faster and some people it is slower.

here is a list of my stuff:

05/30/2007 - AADSAS recieved one of my transcript
06/08/2007 - AADSAS recieved my LORs
06/08/2007 - AADSAS recieved another transcript
06/25/2007 - AADSAS mailed out my appication

i guess i was one of the lucky ones. my transcripts were processed quickly?

i have no idea what AADSAS would do if they got your transcripts right now? they might throw it away? call them and ask?

Thanks for the reply ummjoey. I think the 4-wk processing time isn't bad at all and much faster than I thought!!

i didnt personally call every school and ask them, but i am pretty sure that they will not look at your file until it is complete.

you can call again just to make sure. things might change between the 08 and 09 cycle.
I agree it's very important to get your application in ASAP...even without LORs. But, I actually got an interview invite before all my required LORs were sent to the school (my undergrad university doesn't have a committee). The invite was in late August for a mid-September interview. Once at the interview, they stressed getting the letter sent ASAP. Fortunately, they liked me enough I got accepted.

Thanks again!

As far as I know AADSAS is closed and will be until May.... So you'll have to wait until the application cycle opens then.

I just looked at my application and all my LOR, Scores, and Transcripts were recieved by AADSAS in the middle of June and my application wasn't mailed until Mid August. Keep in mind a lot of schools now are using the fact that they can look at your AADSAS application online and print it before the paper version arrives. (Off topic: I wonder if they are able to plug in min. criteria and screen applicants this way and just print above certain threshold values such as 3.5GPA and min. 18) I had 3 interviews in September if I remember correctly.

Another thing that I did that I think helped me was to find, complete and mail in the supplemental application(s) to the schools before they asked for them after they got my AADSAS. You can find what they are on AADSAS and if you're supposed to send them in at the time of application or only if contacted. If you send them (normally just a small application, maybe a photo, and the lovely application fee) right away, you can potentially beat some people in the "line" and maybe gain an interview earlier. Just an idea.

Hey caloriefree, if you're not able to get your LORs out until late August, you might consider sending a letter to the schools explaining the circumstances. Especially if the committee letter is going to AADSAS first and then being forwarded to schools. I didn't have all the required LORs for Columbia and I sent them a letter explaining why. They still granted me an interview (& acceptance) without meeting their requirements. It may help.

Members don't see this ad :)
If im planning to re-take the DAT this summer when would you guys recommend taking it in order for school to receive my completed application from AADSAS around the same time as my DAT scores from the testing center?

thanks for the very useful info guys. As always, I find you all very helpful! For SanOnofre2002, when did you get your invite from Columbia? Were you just missing one or two LORs out of three?

I was missing 1 of the 3 required science letters. I think I got my invite in early September. Your situation isn't exactly the same as mine, but if your stats are good, I bet they would grant you an interview while they were waiting for your committee letter to arrive. Just sending them a letter lets them know you're on the ball and aware your application is incomplete and that you're working on it.

Thanks again!

Submitted my application on June 15th
LOR
First received on June 26th by AADSAS mailed by them July 23rd
Second received on July 11th by AADSAS mailed July 23rd
Third received on July 16th by AADSAS mailed July 30th
Dentist letter received on August 7th by AADSAS mailed August 20th:thumbdown: (latest)

2 Transcripts
Received June 21st
Received June 25th

So my application, transcripts and 2 LOR were mailed on July 23rd. Note it took 5 weeks since it was relatively early. If you send it late it is going to take longer to process.

I retook my DAT very late August. The schools probably did not get them until middle of september. DAT scores took the shortest time.

I would recommend applying early!! This does more for your application then you can imagine! Also, on the subject of committee letters; I, personally, would recommend not using a committee letter. It limits the number of letters that you can submit on AADSAS. Last year if you submitted a committee letter you could only submit one other LOR or you could submit 4 letters. I submitted a committee letter and a letter from a science professor. About a month after my application was sent I got calls from a couple schools stating that I needed another letter...... Then I called the other schools I applied to and some wanted another science letter while others wanted one from a dentist not on the committee. In short, I think it is easier and more effective to get two letters from science professors, a letter from a dentist and one more from a PI or something...... At my school the even stopped doing committee letters after all of the problems people had last year.

In short get your letters now and apply in may not june or august! You will be happy you did!

I would recommend applying early!! This does more for your application then you can imagine! Also, on the subject of committee letters; I, personally, would recommend not using a committee letter. It limits the number of letters that you can submit on AADSAS. Last year if you submitted a committee letter you could only submit one other LOR or you could submit 4 letters. I submitted a committee letter and a letter from a science professor. About a month after my application was sent I got calls from a couple schools stating that I needed another letter...... Then I called the other schools I applied to and some wanted another science letter while others wanted one from a dentist not on the committee. In short, I think it is easier and more effective to get two letters from science professors, a letter from a dentist and one more from a PI or something...... At my school the even stopped doing committee letters after all of the problems people had last year.

In short get your letters now and apply in may not june or august! You will be happy you did!

I'll listen to everyone's advice and make sure that I'll apply early heh.. THANX!!!!!!!!!! :)

If im planning to re-take the DAT this summer when would you guys recommend taking it in order for school to receive my completed application from AADSAS around the same time as my DAT scores from the testing center?

anyone?

as early as possible?

latest i would say end of july.

edit: im talking to eldirty forgot to quote

Submitted my application on June 15th
LOR
First received on June 26th by AADSAS mailed by them July 23rd
Second received on July 11th by AADSAS mailed July 23rd
Third received on July 16th by AADSAS mailed July 30th
Dentist letter received on August 7th by AADSAS mailed August 20th:thumbdown: (latest)

2 Transcripts
Received June 21st
Received June 25th

So my application, transcripts and 2 LOR were mailed on July 23rd. Note it took 5 weeks since it was relatively early. If you send it late it is going to take longer to process.

I retook my DAT very late August. The schools probably did not get them until middle of september. DAT scores took the shortest time.

hey i noticed some people sent in TWO transcripts. and you sent them only a few days apart. why is this? did you get new courses added or something? I thought AADSAS can ONLY do an academic update during nov-feb.

The schools I'm considering (Columbia, Buffalo, UoP etc) accept applications as early as May 15th. However, the earliest date that my school's health committee starts sending committee letters is late August.

I would consider getting individual LORs if they can't get you a committee letter sooner. I had friends who went with the committee while I did the individual letters and I was able to get my AADSAS to the schools about a month faster. Also there is a huge influx of applications for AADSAS to process in July and August so it even takes longer than it does in June. Apply as early as you can. You won't regret it.

BTW the earliest interview dates I saw were August, but I have heard that the interview invites came sometime in July.

Good Luck!!:thumbup:

i only have mediocre stats and im so worried in not getting in next cycle too. i want to get in the next cycle as i don't want to take the 2 extra years of doing a masters program if it's not absolutely necessary.

this cycle, i submitted my AADSAS application mid-October. i know, stupid. so if it WASN'T because of that, do u guys think i should have gotten in somewhere this cycle??? i need to weight my chances for the next cycle =(

i only have mediocre stats and im so worried in not getting in next cycle too. i want to get in the next cycle as i don't want to take the 2 extra years of doing a masters program if it's not absolutely necessary.

this cycle, i submitted my AADSAS application mid-October. i know, stupid. so if it WASN'T because of that, do u guys think i should have gotten in somewhere this cycle??? i need to weight my chances for the next cycle =(

i think your stats look pretty good.

just apply early and apply to more schools.

keep beefing up your application.

Definately apply to more schools. 20 is a good number.

Start notifying professors for a letter NOW! Don't wait until may/june. They will be tied up with finals and have other commitments over the summer.

Start notifying professors for a letter NOW! Don't wait until may/june. They will be tied up with finals and have other commitments over the summer.

good idea. im also asking profs for letters to apply for masters in the meantime.

blankguy, do buffalo require high RC scores? i know u didn't post it on predents but if you don't mind, can u tell me what you got? i ask because i only got 18, then 17. and buffalo rejected me this year. im wondering if i should apply again to that school the next cycle. if u don't want to reveal rc scores, by all means, u don't have to say. just curious. =)

good idea. im also asking profs for letters to apply for masters in the meantime.

blankguy, do buffalo require high RC scores? i know u didn't post it on predents but if you don't mind, can u tell me what you got? i ask because i only got 18, then 17. and buffalo rejected me this year. im wondering if i should apply again to that school the next cycle. if u don't want to reveal rc scores, by all means, u don't have to say. just curious. =)

I don't know. I just applied to Buffalo with the scores I got. Most of my scores were in the 19-20 range. I'll have to look it up since I don't remember. It's hard to pin point a specific reason as to why somebody got rejected while another person got accepted. It could be the 'feel' of the whole package that the applicant presents. I did take the DAT twice . My scores for the most part were consistently the same with the exception of the PAT which went from 17 to 21 but that was just me. I can't say that is the reason that I got the acceptance. There are other reasons as to why I got accepted.

I would definitely start the application process as soon as possible if I were you. I applied later than I should have and I was invited for an interview before my application was complete (they were waiting on an LOR from a dentist, but that might have been lower on the list of important documents). They don't start sending acceptances till around late November/early December anyways, as far as I know.

At least ask if they can send your committee letter early, it won't hurt to try. I actually got called out by my interviewers as to why they were seeing me so late in the cycle (I applied in Sept and interviewed the first week of Dec, after the first set of letters went out). AND definitely apply to your in-state school if you have one, best chances are almost always at your in-state school.