Early Application = Early Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAR89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I just had a quick question.

I'm in the process of planning for my gap year. I intend to send in my app's as soon as the cycle opens on June 3rd or whatever the date is next year. Assuming I get any interviews at all :)rolleyes:), would the fact that I sent in all of my materials as early as possible guarantee me the earliest interview dates? I know with waitlists and all this isn't always necessarily the case, but assuming I get into the "first batch of consideration" so to speak, does an early application guarantee an early interview?

Members don't see this ad.

hi mar, there is NO guarantee, however, it sure helps!!! hurry up and get it all done so you can be the first in line.

I feel like if you have good stats and you apply early, you will get an earlier interview. If you have bad stats, applying early won't necessarily get you an earlier interview, but if will give you a higher chance of getting in. Think of it like this (yes, it is simplified a lot), if they have a bunch of 3.8 students with 20s, they are going to give them interviews over the guy with a 3.1 and a 19. However, if you apply early, you will probably be at the top of the pile so if anyone with a lesser app applies, you will have a lead over them at least.

Moral of the story: There is no reason not to apply early. It show's you are on top of things and really care about getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
well, I don't have any data / evidence to back up my feelings but..... I REALLY think that the best time to land interviews is pre-december 1st.

And the best way to maximize this event is by applying early (June/July is a good time to apply) and make sure you have all your "ducks in a row before you pull the trigger" ~ LORs, personal statement, transcripts, etc

Thanks for the replies!

I'm definitely planning on getting everything together by the time I graduate in May to send out my app as quickly as possible. The reason I brought up the question was because I'm planning to travel at some point during my gap year, and I figure the only time I'd be able to do that is during the Spring/Summer of the following year (2012 in my case), considering I'll have to stay in the States to fly to the interviews during the Fall/Winter. So by getting all of the interviews in and around the same time period, that would free up a good chunk of 3-4 months for travel.

When exactly are the latest interview dates offered? I read that they can go through March, but I'd assume those interviewed in March would just be the last fillers of each class. Does anyone have any info as to what percentage of applicants are interviewed when? Are the majority of interviews carried out October-December? Or is it pretty evenly spread out?

Thanks for the replies!

I'm definitely planning on getting everything together by the time I graduate in May to send out my app as quickly as possible. The reason I brought up the question was because I'm planning to travel at some point during my gap year, and I figure the only time I'd be able to do that is during the Spring/Summer of the following year (2012 in my case), considering I'll have to stay in the States to fly to the interviews during the Fall/Winter. So by getting all of the interviews in and around the same time period, that would free up a good chunk of 3-4 months for travel.

When exactly are the latest interview dates offered? I read that they can go through March, but I'd assume those interviewed in March would just be the last fillers of each class. Does anyone have any info as to what percentage of applicants are interviewed when? Are the majority of interviews carried out October-December? Or is it pretty evenly spread out?

you can check out predents.com it will give you some idea of who what where and when. remember, all of the data on the site is entered by people like us!

Honestly, if you get it in early, and have good stats, you should get most of your interviews pre-dec. You will definitely have time to travel. You could try checking predents.com and seeing when most interviews are. Good luck!