Early Assurance Program???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamthewalrus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my undergrad school (Penn St.) has a program that allows you to apply to Hershey Med school after sophmore year. If you get accepted, you have to go to Hershey. Is this a worthwhile program for someone that can be competitive at better schools (GPA around 3.9 and MCAT 34+)? I'm almost certain that I will be accepted through this program so I'm kinda scared to apply. Any advice? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't apply.

You can apply there outside of the EDP, like anyone else would, as a "safety" school if you are sure that you can get in there. I don't get the 34+. Is that what you think you'll get? That would put you in the top 90% of all test takers, so to assume you'll get a 34 may be a bit of a reach. If you've gotten a 34, than you already know that you're a stud. Anyways, the point is that if you're well rounded you may get some scholarship money with numbers like yours.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

dc

Could you be happy at Hershey?

If so, why wouldn't you forego what everyone calls a crapshoot? why wouldn't you perfer to save the $$$ that applications cost? don't you have better things to do with the summer before senior year than complete a dozen secondary applications? are there things you'd rather be doing than flying around and sleeping in motels, wearing a black suit and answering the same old questions week after week at interviews? do you really want to be here two years from now chewing your nails here with the rest of the crowd waiting for some love?

If you couldn't be happy at Hershey, then pass up the offer and enjoy the crapshoot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you are scared to apply because you're afraid you will get in, then you have your answer. Is your heart going to sink when you get the acceptance letter?

It's like asking someone to marry you and hoping they'll say no.

I think you will do just fine in the regular application pool. BUT, like LizzyM said, if you DO think you would be happy at Hershey (without major reservations!) then it might be fun to avoid the application madness.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

you could, they won't put a gun to your head, but its real shady. :idea:

bigdan said:
Don't apply.

You can apply there outside of the EDP, like anyone else would, as a "safety" school if you are sure that you can get in there. I don't get the 34+. Is that what you think you'll get? That would put you in the top 90% of all test takers, so to assume you'll get a 34 may be a bit of a reach. If you've gotten a 34, than you already know that you're a stud. Anyways, the point is that if you're well rounded you may get some scholarship money with numbers like yours.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

dc

Agreed, there is a difference between believing one has the capability of scoring the 34+ MCAT and actually achieving it.

iamthewalrus said:
you could, they won't put a gun to your head, but its real shady. :idea:

Okay, so have you only finished your freshman year, or have you also done sophomore year and are now considering applying to this program? You really need to figure out how shady it is if you want to leave, because it already sounds like you don't really want to attend this medical program. IMHO, I think that you should wait it out, take your MCAT, and apply to schools you would want to go to. I know smart kids in college who got into these kinds of programs just for the sake of having a backup in case MCATs didn't go well, etc. BUT, with these acceptances in hand, many of them became complacent, ultimately not even taking the MCAT. So it all boils down to if you can imagine yourself at this medical school and how binding the program truly is.