Early Decision affecting Regular Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchen707

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, first off, congrats to all those accepted through ED! I was wondering, with the implementation of ED, how will that affect the number of applicants accepted through RD? Will they accept less because a number of seats are already filled?

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding is that it is different from school to school. Some schools could take only ED applicants if they felt they were strong applicants and did not need any more. However, if I am understanding correctly, most school only accepted a few ED applicants and are reviewing other applicants from the RD pool. I know that ED has made the application process much more competitive. I am playing the waiting game and hoping that my applications will be verified and sent off from PTCAS soon because I know that a lot of schools, especially ones that did ED, are reviewing applications as they receive them and making quick decisions on interviews. I just hope that I am not to late!! Let me know if you find out any more information about this!!

well i guess that makes sense. A few of my schools participated in ED but I applied RD to all of my schools. I've gotten a few emails saying they've received my applications and my file is complete and that I would be hearing from them either soon or for some (USC and UW) april or march.... I just wnat to find out now if I will get an interview. I hope those schools that accepted only ED apps would be kind enough to tell me/other RD apps that they only accepted ED this year

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that if they were only going to accept ED applicants you will receive a rejection letter pretty soon or email saying that. Did you apply through PTCAS? Where all are you applying too? How long did it take them to get back to you saying they had all your materials and such? I have been reading a few other threads and some people are receiving emails/letters/calls about interviews within a week of the school receiving their application and then other schools are not sending out information about interviews until later. I guess it all depends on the schools. That is what makes this all so confusing and stressful!! The waiting game is killing me and when you hear back from one you want to hear back from others!!!

I applied to 11 schools (i know its a lot but i am hoping that I can get into at least one): MGH, BU, Columbia, Chatham, Temple, Marymount, Emory (#1 choice for now), UF, UW, Regis, USC.

Marymount told me specifically that I won't hear from them until about November if I get an interview. But Emory emailed me yesterday saying that I should be hearing from them really soon. My PTCAS stuff was all mailed out by 9/13 I think (I e submitted on 8/25). So It was within a week that I heard back from a couple schools that they had received my stuff. I'm also hoping that since some of the schools I applied to have rolling admissions, that I might included in the first wave of interviews if I get one... so hopefully i can hear back soon. Regis is pretty high up on my list and they participated in ED, so ya I was still hoping htat I would have a shot at it.

I am right there with you!! I applied to 12 schools. I know that it is a lot but just like you I really want to get into 1!! Emory is also on my list. I would love to get into Emory but they are so competitive I am trying not to get my hopes up!! I applied to Emory, WVU, WCU, Duke, ECU, Radford, WSSU, Lynchburg, Nova, Tn State, UTC, and VCU. My applications are being sent out in the next mailing cycle so I am hoping I will start hearing back from schools soon. I think if I can get an interview that I have a good chance of being accepted. I am a people person and can explain myself much better in person than on paper!! Keep me posted on how every thing goes for you!!

I also think that if I can score an interview, my chances of getting in are significantly better. I'm really hoping to get an interview for Emory, they are really high up on my list right now.

I just wanted to let you know that since Early Decision is newly implemented this year, there may not be as many applicants as you think. I was sooooooo worried that Duke would have like 100+ ED applications, and according to their admissions coordinator, there were only 12...definitely not enough to fill up a whole class.

So don't fret too much!!!!

Good luck to you!!! I hope you get in exactly where you want! :luck:

Makes sense, thanks for the encouragement. I received a bunch of emails today that my PTCAS apps were received and under review / or invite to complete the 2ndary apps. FYI I paid PTCAS on 9/7 for regular admission schools, PTCAS "mailed" yesterday.

Kcrat, ya i know it's new this year, but I just didn't know how many applicants acutally decided to do ED, so I was a bit worried. Also congrats on getting into Duke, I hope I get into my top choice... I should be finding out if I get an interview soon. if I got an email saying that my application and stuff were received and my file is complete and that I should be hearing from them very soon, how soon is soon? a week? a couple weeks? AHHH i hate waiting!!

I just wanted to let you know that since Early Decision is newly implemented this year, there may not be as many applicants as you think. I was sooooooo worried that Duke would have like 100+ ED applications, and according to their admissions coordinator, there were only 12...definitely not enough to fill up a whole class.

Wow, those are some great odds, there!! Plus, you had a rockin' app! How could they turn you down?! (Congrats again, ps!)