early decision-- does anyone know anyone who got in? (SCCO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

broncos24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i'm trying to apply to SCCO as an early decision since I'm a junior at undergrad, and SCCO only accepts students with a bachelor's degree.

I was wondering if anybody knows anyone who got in as an early decision?

I haven't taken the OAT, and I have one more prereq that I'm taking this semester. What are my chances of getting in? I have about a 3.6 prereq gpa, and 3.6+ cumulative. I'm planning to take the OAT in january and applying in september. Is the OAT too late?

Members don't see this ad.

Clarify the dates. You want to take the OAT in Jan '08 and applying Sept '08? Or OAT in Jan '08, apply Sept '07?

Normally they would suggest taking the OAT around Dec. of your Junior year and to apply around Spring of your Junior year.

http://www.opted.org/profiles.pdf shows last test date excepted. SCCO shows 3/15..?

so i'm trying to apply to SCCO as an early decision since I'm a junior at undergrad, and SCCO only accepts students with a bachelor's degree.

I was wondering if anybody knows anyone who got in as an early decision?

I haven't taken the OAT, and I have one more prereq that I'm taking this semester. What are my chances of getting in? I have about a 3.6 prereq gpa, and 3.6+ cumulative. I'm planning to take the OAT in january and applying in september. Is the OAT too late?

i am not sure what you mean by early decision but scco will not accept anyone without a bachelors degree so if you are currently a junior you need to apply next year not this one

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, my friend was accepted her junior year of undergraduate at SCCO with the early acceptance program. It was a conditional acceptance based on her completing the rest of the required courses and obtained her bachelor's degree.

As stated on SCCO's website: "Secondly, students may apply during their junior year in college for an early decision. If accepted, their enrollment will be guaranteed for the following year after the completion of their bachelor's degree. An early decision acceptance implies a commitment on the part of the applicant to not apply to other programs during the year they are completing the bachelor’s degree."

When my friend applied for early acceptance, she had already completed her OAT. I don't have any other personal experience with early acceptance, so if you would like to speak to my friend, send me your email and I will forward it to her.

Rosanna

I was planning to take the OAT in january 08 and apply september 07 for enrollment in september 09. SCCO accepts juniors that apply for early decision in that they would enroll the year after they complete their bachelor's. That's what I'm planning to do...

So in my situation.. would taking the OAT in jan 08, applying sept 07' FOR ENROLLMENT IN SEPTEMBER 09' be reasonable still??

The admissions director at SCCO told me only 2-3 get in every year in my boat.

let me know my chances of getting that interview without the OAT score.. science gpa: 3.75. I read in other forums that several different people got interviews before they even took the OAT bc they had sufficient optometry experience and good gpa. I've had only 2 different shadowing experiences for a total of like .... 28 hours.

im not sure why you think this is a good idea? if they told you in general that not very many people get in this way wouldnt it be much more prudent to take the oat in jan and apply next august??? i dont think that scco will grant you an interview until they know your oat score. what do you gain by trying to get in this way?

im not sure why you think this is a good idea? if they told you in general that not very many people get in this way wouldnt it be much more prudent to take the oat in jan and apply next august??? i dont think that scco will grant you an interview until they know your oat score. what do you gain by trying to get in this way?

well the director of admissions really made it clear to me that for them to know you're a reapplicant (if i dont get in this year for enrollment of 09') makes them understand that you REALLY want to do this really bad..
For anyone to get rejected once and still have the determination to try harder and apply again and again makes them have that question "how bad does this person want to dedicate him/herself to optometry?" answered.

In addition.. I figured that I am willing to take the risk in applying this year (not getting my hopes up in getting in) and if I do get in.. I'd be saving myself hundreds of dollars in applying during my senior year (flights for interviews, applications, for 3-5 schools etc). So in the long run.. I'm willing to use 65 bucks to apply as an early decision for potentially saving myself hundreds of dollars and all the stress during my senior year on where I'm headed after graduation.

I'm willing to get that interview in the spring even after they receive my OAT scores. In the end.. I have another full year of doing this again. No hurry.

Sounds to me like you've done your research and have already made a decision to apply 09/07.

Good luck =)