Early Decision for UTMB Galveston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cqn_htx

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've just applied ED to UTMB and was hoping to see if anyone else here has too. I submitted my app two days ago, and today I got the email from PTCAS saying my GPA had been re-calculated. I was surprised, thinking it'd take closer to the estimated "4-5 weeks for processing" before my GPA would be looked at! I guess since it's early decision, everything will get processed faster?

I'm a bit bummed about my new gpa though, since one class I failed in freshman year was included (I retook it for a B). I was wondering if my chances of getting into UTMB are good, despite my low gpa calcs?

Undergrad: Houston Baptist University
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.34
pGPA: 3.22
Sci/Math: 3.05
GRE: 160 Q/156 V/4.0 A.W
Observation Hours: 130 ortho outpatient (3 different clinics), 90 pediatric outpatient, 40 inpatient acute
Extra Curriculum: Filipino Student Association Historian, Dragon Boat Team Captain/Manager, HBU Odyssey Student Leader, CASL Round Table Facilitator, Alphed Epsilon Delta
Research: Microbiology (ID of target bacteria using PCR), presented at HBU Celebration of Scholarship Research Symposium
Honors: HBU Dean's List, Alpha Chi Honor Society

Thanks all, and best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

That's awesome that you submitted already! I'm still working on my professionalism essay and am trying to submit by the end of this week.

I'm applying to UTMB but regular admission because my first choice is Tx State and they don't participate in ED.

For your chances I don't know if I'm the best to speak of them since I'm a fellow applicant and an accepted student could probably give a better opinion but your extra curriculars and research experience look like a plus!! :)

Best of luck !!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I've just applied ED to UTMB and was hoping to see if anyone else here has too. I submitted my app two days ago, and today I got the email from PTCAS saying my GPA had been re-calculated. I was surprised, thinking it'd take closer to the estimated "4-5 weeks for processing" before my GPA would be looked at! I guess since it's early decision, everything will get processed faster?

I'm a bit bummed about my new gpa though, since one class I failed in freshman year was included (I retook it for a B). I was wondering if my chances of getting into UTMB are good, despite my low gpa calcs?

Undergrad: Houston Baptist University
Major: Biology
cGPA: 3.34
pGPA: 3.22
Sci/Math: 3.05
GRE: 160 Q/156 V/4.0 A.W
Observation Hours: 130 ortho outpatient (3 different clinics), 90 pediatric outpatient, 40 inpatient acute
Extra Curriculum: Filipino Student Association Historian, Dragon Boat Team Captain/Manager, HBU Odyssey Student Leader, CASL Round Table Facilitator, Alphed Epsilon Delta
Research: Microbiology (ID of target bacteria using PCR), presented at HBU Celebration of Scholarship Research Symposium
Honors: HBU Dean's List, Alpha Chi Honor Society

Thanks all, and best of luck!!
I was accepted to UTMB and start later this month. The average gpa for their accepted students is 3.75. Your science/math gpa barely meets the minimum. Hopefully your last 60 hours gpa is better. Your gre score and research experience could help though. Retake some of those science classes to boost your gpa! PTCAS calculated your gpa but that doesn't mean your application is verified yet. You'll get another email when that happens.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

That's awesome that you submitted already! I'm still working on my professionalism essay and am trying to submit by the end of this week.

I'm applying to UTMB but regular admission because my first choice is Tx State and they don't participate in ED.

For your chances I don't know if I'm the best to speak of them since I'm a fellow applicant and an accepted student could probably give a better opinion but your extra curriculars and research experience look like a plus!! :)

Best of luck !!

Hi there, best of luck with your applications!! I hope you were able to finish up your essay :)

I ended up being deferred to regular admission from UTMB today, so I'll be applying to TSU as well! I'm curious, what other schools are you applying to?

I was accepted to UTMB and start later this month. The average gpa for their accepted students is 3.75. Your science/math gpa barely meets the minimum. Hopefully your last 60 hours gpa is better. Your gre score and research experience could help though. Retake some of those science classes to boost your gpa! PTCAS calculated your gpa but that doesn't mean your application is verified yet. You'll get another email when that happens.

Thanks for your reply, and congratulations on your acceptance!! I was deferred to regular admissions by UTMB, but I'm staying hopeful and seeing this as an opportunity to explore my other options. Now I'm considering TWU, TSU, UNT, USA, HSU, and UT Southwestern.

My science GPA is unfortunately quite low, partially due to the fact that I have many upper level science classes in consideration too, so I feel like retaking any of the wouldn't be as helpful for me, as a bio major. I'd rather focus as much as I can on my senior capstone and research classes :eek: the other science elective I'm taking this fall will also help increase my science GPA (if all goes well)!

Hi there, best of luck with your applications!! I hope you were able to finish up your essay :)

I ended up being deferred to regular admission from UTMB today, so I'll be applying to TSU as well! I'm curious, what other schools are you applying to?

Awww, sorry ED didn't work out but it's cool that you get to explore other programs! I hope you get into your first choice :)

I'm applying to TxState, TWU, Angelo State, UTMB and UNT-HSC. I'm doing some final editing on my essay and will probable e-subit tomorrow for all those school except Tx State! I haven't finished my TxState essay yet, so I will e-submit tomorrow for 4 schools so that PTCAS can calculate my GPAs, and verify my application and when I'm done with my TxState essay, I will add in this program to my application :)

Reactions: 1 user
I talked to a lot of admissions counselors for UTMB, Tx State, and UTHSC and they take in a variety of things when applying. GPA is big but they do understnad that as freshmen we tend to learn the college life and not do too hot. They do check for upward trends while you go through college, your last 60 hours (if it is higher than your cumulative), and your volunteering services! In the end, they want people with passion, not just all brains. Good luck to you both!

I talked to a lot of admissions counselors for UTMB, Tx State, and UTHSC and they take in a variety of things when applying. GPA is big but they do understnad that as freshmen we tend to learn the college life and not do too hot. They do check for upward trends while you go through college, your last 60 hours (if it is higher than your cumulative), and your volunteering services! In the end, they want people with passion, not just all brains. Good luck to you both!

Thanks, that is such a relief to hear!! I worry that schools will look at my GPA/GRE and not consider the rest of my application after seeing my GPA. By the way, I saw on another post that you got an interview at UTMB, so congratulations and best of luck to you too!