Early Decision Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwest406

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I would appreciate some insight from those who have applied early decision.

I am planning on applying early decision to Loma Linda. Should I tailor my personal statement to specifically appeal to the school? i.e. Focus more specifically on my faith and different service involvements that I have been a part of that I wouldnt highlight as much if I was applying more broadly?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all-

I would appreciate some insight from those who have applied early decision.

I am planning on applying early decision to Loma Linda. Should I tailor my personal statement to specifically appeal to the school? i.e. Focus more specifically on my faith and different service involvements that I have been a part of that I wouldnt highlight as much if I was applying more broadly?

Thanks
Contact them before you commit to Early Decision. Tell them your stats and find out if you are competitive before you turn your primary into a love letter.

:) thanks for the advice. It isn't considered abnormal to call an admissions office to ask them if I would be competitive at their school?

Members don't see this ad :)
:) thanks for the advice. It isn't considered abnormal to call an admissions office to ask them if I would be competitive at their school?
Not for EDP. It's practically required. No one is so heartless that we want to see you go down in flames, least of all LL.

Not for EDP. It's practically required. No one is so heartless that we want to see you go down in flames, least of all LL.

Alright. I'll give them a call. My brother will be a first year at LL this year, I am a pretty competitive applicant, very serious about my faith and really only interested in LL. So I would still likely only apply there even if they recommend that I don't apply ED.

Alright. I'll give them a call. My brother will be a first year at LL this year, I am a pretty competitive applicant, very serious about my faith and really only interested in LL. So I would still likely only apply there even if they recommend that I don't apply ED.
Don't do it if they advise against it. They tend to tell the truth.

Don't do it if they advise against it. They tend to tell the truth.
I wouldn't apply ED if they don't recommend it, but I would still only apply there in the regular cycle

Are there no other schools that you believe you could learn to be a physician? Plenty of Catholic schools may not share your exact faith, but have mission statements that respect faith. A few DO schools are the same.

early decision is so risky i really wouldn't mess with it. if you're competitive why not just apply regularly?

Are there no other schools that you believe you could learn to be a physician? Plenty of Catholic schools may not share your exact faith, but have mission statements that respect faith. A few DO schools are the same.
I could definitely learn to be a physician at other schools, but I have good reasons for wanting to attend Loma Linda and at the end of the day if I got into multiple places, I would choose Loma Linda anyways.

early decision is so risky i really wouldn't mess with it. if you're competitive why not just apply regularly?
It's not that risky if it is at a school that you have a really good shot at getting into. If anything it gives you two chances to be accepted and saves you a ton of stress, time and money.

I could definitely learn to be a physician at other schools, but I have good reasons for wanting to attend Loma Linda and at the end of the day if I got into multiple places, I would choose Loma Linda anyways.
You have to get in first, though.