early decision - question on how it works

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamqueen

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying early decision to a GA school that does EDP for a large #, and it is my best shot at getting in - this I know.

Here's my question. If I am rolled over into regular after the Oct 1 deadline passes or just rejected, I know I have the chance to then apply to other schools. Am I able to readjust my personal statement etc. in order to do this? I do have to resubmit my entire amcas for those new schools, right?

Just curious on how it works - anybody go through this? What does AMCAS let you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can adjust anything. Once you are verified that is it. You applying to mercer or mcg? I am ED to mercer.

large # = MCG. One class apparently had more than 100 students accepted EDP. Wasn't the case this year, probably won't be again, but MCG will always have >60 EDP, much more than any other school I can think of.

I think it is a good idea to do EDP MCG, but I don't think you can change anything.

You can add schools, but at the top of each page it says "application already submitted, this information cannot be changed."

large # = MCG. One class apparently had more than 100 students accepted EDP. Wasn't the case this year, probably won't be again, but MCG will always have >60 EDP, much more than any other school I can think of.

I think it is a good idea to do EDP MCG, but I don't think you can change anything.

You can add schools, but at the top of each page it says "application already submitted, this information cannot be changed."

You have to go by the ratio of those accepted EDP to total class size. At MCG, even if they take 100 via EDP that's only about 50%. At Mercer, they've taken up to 40 EDP which is about 66%.

Then you also have to consider the number of total applicants who apply to a particular school EDP vs regular decision. Hypthetically, if 800 of the 900 or so applicants who normally apply to Mercer in a given year applied EDP and only 100 applied regular decision, the fact that 2/3 of the class comes from EDP wouldn't mean much. On the other hand, if only 45 applied EDP it would mean a whole lot! Of course all this varies from school to school and year to year.

It's always true that once you've submitted your AMCAS you can't change any of the stuff that matters. Only personal information. However, if you're not accepted right away, some schools encourage applicants to send material to update their file. I can only assume that those schools weight the new information. Other schools (i.e. Mercer) do not ask for updates and will not re-consider updated information (even new MCAT scores). So, if you think your latest MCAT scores will push you over the top but they're not coming in until after Oct. 1, I wouldn't apply EDP (at least at Mercer) unless your current MCAT scores are good enough to get in.