Early Interview Date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalHopeful28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For schools that give options for interview dates, how important is it to get the first available date vs. a date about two weeks later? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about this as well. I would assume that there's two types of applicants in terms of probability of acceptance: those who received interviews and those who do not (throughout the entire cycle). This early in the game, I don't think there is a preference for, say, September versus November interviews. They have a few months to compare interviews before making finals decisions. In fact, one can argue that having a later interview would help (as it would be closer to "decision" time), but that's probably just a myth as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have until December 1st to make decisions on who to accept.

I think as long as they're Pre-Dec interviews, it doesn't matter too much. After all, let's say I'm on an adcom. If there's 1 seat left and I interview an excellent Pre-Dec candidate 2 weeks, or a month later, I'll bump the lowest ranking candidate that I've already interviewed down to make room.

I've heard that what has more of an effect on early/late interviewees is the interviewer's mood during that day. :eek:

Last edited:
Get the earliest date possible. PERIOD

I say do what's most convenient for you. I suppose that's the reason they give you an option. There's not really a formula - just have a good interview. I would caution against changing dates multiple times. They may sense being played.

If you're bent on needing a Dec 1 acceptance, then pre-Nov interview is probably your best option. But I think any pre-Dec is just fantastic in general.