Early Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UlmerMM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of programs offering contracts to 4th year students prior to the winter match.....I know the MD world isn't allowed to participate in such a transaction, but the DO students may.....Does this rule apply to the program as well? Can a allopathic program offer a residency contract to a osteopathic 4th year before the match?
Anyone been offered/accepted one of these? Where? How does it work? Do you bring it or do they??

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard of programs offering contracts to 4th year students prior to the winter match.....I know the MD world isn't allowed to participate in such a transaction, but the DO students may.....Does this rule apply to the program as well? Can a allopathic program offer a residency contract to a osteopathic 4th year before the match?
Anyone been offered/accepted one of these? Where? How does it work? Do you bring it or do they??

Allopathic programs can offer early matches to "independent" folks (DOs, IMGs and those who already graduated). I've never had the pleasure of being offered one, and I'm not sure what would be the correct etiquette for discussing the subject. Maybe something like the following: "M. Ulmer, we are very interested in your application. Do you find our program to be one you will rank highly in the Match?" "Yes, but quite frankly, if any of my top three programs were to offer me a position pre-match, I would have to carefully consider it. By the way, your program is in my top three."

Maybe this isn't subtle enough. Eh, if they don't bring it up, just ask them if they pre-match.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "MD world." Do you mean allopathic students or are you talking about residency programs?

Either way, yes, DO's and FMG's (foreign MDs) can be offered and can sign contracts outside the match. I believe it's b/c they're considered "free agents." This does happen every year but as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty rare and usually in non-competitive fields/programs.

Ask around. I may be wrong.

DoctorSaib is correct on both fronts: yes its legal for an allopathic program to offer an outside of the match contract to an independent candidate and its fairly uncommon.

Most programs that offer such contracts are those that have trouble filling and figure that a "bird in the hand" is better than taking their chances in the scramble. Therefore, if you are an average to stellar candidate you have more options in the match. If however, you are not sometimes a pre-match contract is not a bad idea...knowing however, that you will not have other options once you sign.

If you are a great candidate and the program offering the contract is your #1 choice, you may consider the offer but I would seriously wonder why they are offering it...in most cases its not because you're so wonderful that they can't bear letting you get away but because there's something wrong with the program.