Early or late interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious whether it holds true that it's better to interview later in the season rather than earlier--because you're less likely to be forgotten, you've gotten lots of practice, etc etc. It's be interesting to see if there's a trend--so post away on the timing of your interview at the program you matched at. Also, if it wasn't your first choice, when you interviewed at the programs higher up on your list.

I interviewed at my matched program in mid-December and it was close to my last interview....

If anything, this will be something to add to our neuro forum match analyses....

Members don't see this ad.

drgirl said:
I'm curious whether it holds true that it's better to interview later in the season rather than earlier--because you're less likely to be forgotten, you've gotten lots of practice, etc etc. It's be interesting to see if there's a trend--so post away on the timing of your interview at the program you matched at. Also, if it wasn't your first choice, when you interviewed at the programs higher up on your list.

I interviewed at my matched program in mid-December and it was close to my last interview....

If anything, this will be something to add to our neuro forum match analyses....

I defnitely felt more comfortable after 3-4 interviews. If anyone is worried about getting anxious, you might want to hold off on your top choices if you can. But after interview 5 or so I think most people I met were really exhausted/jaded/read to finish (maybe not at their best due to this). It's important to show interest in a program. I think the more important issue is applying early. Get your application sent to CAS by mid-September at the very latest (that probably means asking for LOR's before the end of July at the VERY latest).

I interviewed at my matched program in early December. I think that they had one interview day after that.

I bought into the whole "late" interview thing, and tried to schedule my most competitive programs as close to the end as I could.