Early Submission or BCPM??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anitra627

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a nail biter!! :confused: I am reapplying for 2005 and I know that one of my major problems last cycle was a very low BCPM. I'm taking two classes this summer and am getting A's in them and when my advisor and I plugged in my new hypothetical grades (along with new physics grades from the past year), my BCPM jumped nearly 3 points.

Here's my question. . . .

I am ready to submit AMCAS on Monday. BUT I do not yet have my official transcript for the grades I will receive for my current summer courses. I am getting A's in these courses and I NEED them factored into my BCPM. These classes are done at the end of July and I will be able to get my grades from my professors by then- though the transcript might not be ready for a week or two after that, which puts me at like August 10th.

Should I wait to get these grades before sumbitting AMCAS (I think I should). I do NOT want to get screwed with submitting at the beginning of August. Can I submit the grades when I hear from my professor and have the transcropt send to AMCAS as soon as its ready? Will AMCAS correct my application before they get the transcript?

Any advice? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

If I were in your situation, I would apply now and send in your grades later. Also, I'm sure a few classes won't significantly change your grades, would they?

Best to get it in now..and defiantely send in the new grades as soon as they come in. Worse thing that you can do is sending in your app late....

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, it will affect my grades very significantly. i've done the math, if these grades aren't factored into my bcpm it will hurt me. :thumbdown:

Anitra,

Your situation is a nail-biter indeed but I think you're thinking in the right direction. If the new grades significantly increase your BCPM, I think it is worth the wait. I can't speak for admissions committees but I actually had friends in similar situations who delayed their AMCAS submission learning later that submitting in August wasn't the end of the world. They all got accepted somewhere. Some went to excellent places (e.g., Emory, Michigan, Cornell to cite specific examples).

I understand the other posts; many schools still have rolling admissions and hand out a buttload of acceptances by mid-October right? However, many of these schools will likely screen through many many applications and may use number cutoffs to decide who to send secondaries to (Of course, none of us know what the arbitrary cutoffs are making your decision making process very tough). And if you don't get a secondary, it's over between you and that school. I would advise to not rush your application if your new grades will *significantly* affect your numbers. Submitting in August is not a bad thing by any means.

Me personally, I went to college in Baltimore and me and my buddies went on a road trip to Washington DC to personally hand-deliver our AMCAS on the first day they were accepting applications (yes we were neurotic). However, our school didn't send in our transcripts until 6 weeks later! Although at that time we were upset about that, we all did fine.

Best of luck...whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll make a sound decision.

Me personally, I went to college in Baltimore and me and my buddies went on a road trip to Washington DC to personally hand-deliver our AMCAS on the first day they were accepting applications (yes we were neurotic). However, our school didn't send in our transcripts until 6 weeks later! Although at that time we were upset about that, we all did fine.

Best of luck...whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll make a sound decision.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: Ha ha. That's hilarious. I did the exact same thing when I applied to undergrad and it worked out for me then too.

Thanks for the first hand info- that is good to know. I am going to wait, because if I submit now there really isn't much of a GPA difference from last time. Thanks Andy!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

LOL anitra! Which school did you go to if you don't mind me asking?

Well, I hand delivered to Yale and didn't get in. But I went to Princeton. And then went to Yale for grad school ;) suckas.

oh oops...i thought when you said "same thing" you meant you went to college in baltimore....guess i jumped the gun on that one :)

looks like some folks were giving you a bit of a hassle on your other thread :(

anyways, it sounds like you're making a sound decision...cool stuff