Earning as much as an IB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You always hear people say: "if you want to make money, go into ivestment banking" But, in reality if you want to make a much money as an IB you should go into pharmacy.

We all know entry level IBs make around $200,000 a year. However, people fail to realize how many hours investment bankers work. The average 80 hours aweek! If a pharmacist was working 80 hours a week they would be swimming in money.

average pharm wage: $50/hr
80 hr weeks
= $4000/week or $200,000/year (50 weeks)
didn't even calculate in overtime compensation!!!!!!

Money is outthere for the taking..............just a thought :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

BUMPING.............just for the fun of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're comparing apples to oranges.

all you need is a bachelors to become an IB. you need 4 years of doctorate level education to be a pharm, which can set you back 150k+ already.

plus, people don't really do IBanking as a career as much. they do it for a few years then move up to an executive postion or partner, and can make 500K+ to millions.... and no way could you make that much as a pharm.

While we appreciate the financial aspects of our profession/soon-to-be profession. I'm certain it's not important enough to bump it every day.

Especially when most of us are more concerned about apps, interviews, and acceptance. :eek:

EVERYDAY?????????
a bit of an exaggeration dont you think?????????

you're comparing apples to oranges.

all you need is a bachelors to become an IB. you need 4 years of doctorate level education to be a pharm, which can set you back 150k+ already.

plus, people don't really do IBanking as a career as much. they do it for a few years then move up to an executive postion or partner, and can make 500K+ to millions.... and no way could you make that much as a pharm.

Reread post.
I did not compare a partner at a IB firm to a pharmacist.
Education wasn't really relevant in ur arguement because i didnt mention anything about return on investment and education.
sidenote: public board means anyone can post what they want when they want and how many times they want.

so.....you've thought about it & thought about it (bumped & bumped) & nobody really cares...

again....apples & oranges.....

you want to be an investment banker - great - I could never do it - but, that's just me.

I'm sure there are plenty of investment bankers who think my job is boring ....so...what's your point?

Its a different mindset & different skill set - some could jump from one to the next, but do people really do that? Are you doing (or considering) pharmacy for that reason?

The statment about IB's needing only bachelors degree is sometimes not true.

In my PhD program (statistics), one of my classmates interviewed unsuccessfully in New York for an IB job, and the interview was the most difficult imagineable. It was 13 hours straight, with measure theory and bayesian questions. Those are two topics that are considered the most difficult in a phD in statistics, so imagine being asked that at your interview.

And some questions in those two subjects can take almost an hour to solve for one question.

I wonder if you get that type of job whether you can actually keep it or you even have more stress than that interview!!!

It depends on your interests/skill set. I wouldnt last one day as an investment banker.