Earthquake in the Bay Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuackDentist

I'm your ugly duckling.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just a heads up to those interviewing at UCSF or UOP (not that we can really do anything about it). There was an earthquake in San Jose at 8:04 PM Pacific time this evening. The earthquake lasted about 30 seconds and was 5.6 on the Richter scale.

I was at home and live less than five miles away from the epicenter of the quake. It was not that bad but scary nonetheless--the walls were doing a rolling/waving motion and things from the shelves were falling off. Friends are reporting feeling the earthquake way past San Francisco. Usually, when an earthquake in the Bay Area reaches above 5 on the scale, there is a warning of aftershocks for the next 72 hours.

There have been less intense aftershocks all throughout the Bay (3.0 or less on the scale).

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up since San Francisco also felt the quake and I know that some predents are interviewing at UOP and UCSF.

Also, I hope that everyone here from the Bay is okay (i.e. Fonz, etc.).

Take care everyone. And I hope that we have already experienced the worse.

Members don't see this ad.

I am up in the East bay and I definitely felt it! It was scary...bringing back memories from the 89 quake! Hope all is well...and for you non Cali people that are interviewing here...welcome:)

I am up in the East bay and I definitely felt it! It was scary...bringing back memories from the 89 quake! Hope all is well...and for you non Cali people that are interviewing here...welcome:)

Yeah. The center was at Alum Rock and for middle school, my school was part of the Alum Rock Union School District--to illustrate how close that is. It was scary. I heard this was one was 2nd strongest to the Loma Prieto earthquake of 89 (wasn't that like a 6.7)?

I am more scared of the possibilities of aftershocks especially because I have to leave my family and fly out for an interview on Thursday.

Members don't see this ad :)
It felt pretty strong down in Santa Cruz

Here's what I told Quack about the earthquake: I thought I felt an earthquake but I was in the gym and just finished doing some heavy hackslide squats and leg presses so I just thought my legs were giving out. They were already shaky and I was dizzy from exhaustion/hunger. LOL true story!

At least the earthquake didn't hit you when you were smack in the middle of taking the DAT, like it happened to me :scared: .

I took the 5pm DAT in San Jose, so it hit when I was on my last RC passage. Needless to say, it was extremely difficult to focus on the passage when the whole building was rocking back and forth...and the lady next to me got hysterical and started crying, and then hid under the desk. She stayed there a couple minutes after the building stopped shaking and kept shouting, "What do we do?! WHAT DO WE DO?!" I guess she must've been under a lot of pressure... :confused:

The whole time I was angry at the earthquake for distracting me...especially since it was something I delayed my application for and prepared a month for...the whole experience was very surreal. But then later, when I got my results I found out I scored highest on RC...go figure :eek:.

lol i think that must've been the pressure. i'm actually really trying to train myself to work like that on the day of the DAT. no second guessing, go with gut answer, don't look back, just answer the question with what i think is right at first look. i know some ppl might disagree but I work so much better that way, and it always proves itself later when I get my results.

I was in the sim lab at Pacific cutting on my typodont when I felt myself swaying a few inches back and forth. It was a pretty wierd feeling considering I am from AZ and had no idea what was going on.