Easier section to improve QR or Reading?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psh3kgtplaya88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so say your exam is in 3 weeks and both reading and math are at about a 16... where would you invest your extra time and what exactly would you do to maximize your AA....

Would it be easier to raise the qr or the reading?

Members don't see this ad.

QR for sure. The math is high school level. Reading is a life long thing. Its slow going trying to improve this section. Its possible, but if you put enough time in QR, theres no reason you can score20+. Heres the catch, RC is way more important than QR. QR score is negligible and most schools don't consider it during the admissions process. The average QR score at LSU for the entering class was around 15.

The average score ADA posted on qr is about 15-16 and the average score for reading is about 18-19!

This kinda scares me away from doing math, thinking it'll be harder to improve my score...

How would you suggest doing math? one test a day..and review it the nxt..

You have 3 weeks! That is a lot of time. IMPROVE BOTH!!!

For Math you can easily improve if you learn the types of questions with Math Destroyer. I would do each test (takes about 2 hours for most people going through it the 1st time) yes it is painful....
But, 2nd time going through each one you learn tricks and you can do the tests timed. If you don't have the time to do this...I would suggest picking 5 tests out of Destroyer...mix it up Test 1,2,3 and 9, 10 (10 is the hardest!) and do these 5 over and over till you know them cold!!! For those who are bad at Math, doing this will best help you train your mind and help your timing for the real DAT. My real DAT was easier than math destroyer but I messed up with the calculator a lot so lost time and ended up with a 19 (Still 93rd percentile for QR). Be prepared for a horrible calculator and don't rely on it. That's my best advice for QR.

In terms of RC...what have you used to gauge a score of 16? RC is not impossible to improve like people say. If you practice reading passages in 6-7 minutes and then going through the q's and answering them the best you can....that is how you improve...PRACTICE. It is all about timing. Even if you read the passage...you will have to go back to it to find most of the answers for the q's. But, you must also answer some without going back to save time. My best advice is to read an RC passage as if you are reading it as a reporter on Television or as if it is the greatest thing in the world (I would read out loud in a whisper...helped me focus x_x). Point is: PRACTICE/FOCUS/READ/DESTROY.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You can definitely improve your reading by practicing. Try a few different strategies and see which one works best for you. Then practice that strategy so you know how to use it well.

If it were me choosing which to improve QR vs. RC...

I would choose RC hands down!!!:slap:

The admissions committee looks not only at AA but also individual scores. RC is important to almost all schools. You can't afford to get a 16 on this section. If you get a 16 on QR it's not as big of deal.

But I guess that's not the question :rolleyes: The easier of the two is probably QR. But easier isn't always better:thumbup:

quantitative reasoning is definitely easier section to improve. Reading comprehension takes a lot more time to improve. I think the fastest way you can improve your quantitative reasoning score is to go through chats quantitative reasoning videos than go through the DAT destroyer.

You can also try Kaplan's method along with search and destroy and see which method works best for you, from what I have been hearing search and destroy questions are replaced by it a lot of tone and inference questions in the DAT so search and destroy is not as nearly as effective as it used to be.

Good luck!