Easier to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drgroovespace

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm an undergrad in NY. I would like to know if Carribean Schools are easier to get into and what gpa and MCAT scores do they look for? I would also like to know if there are any international schools which are not in the Carribean. Thank You, and I would really appreciate it if someone can answer these questions for me. Bye.

------------------
The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men often go astray
-- John Steinbeck

Members don't see this ad.

If you are an undergrad at SUNY-Stonybrook, make an appointment to speak with James Montren, Melville Library E2360. Or are you avoiding him?

Jim Montren is pretty knowledgeable about the whole process and I would follow EVERY WORD OF HIS ADVICE. He was my undergrad premed advisor at NYU.

Tell him Tim says "WHAT UP."

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, we cannot lump Carribean schools into one whole. Admissions standards for them range everywhere from being able to write a check (not quite that bad, but you get my drift) to as high as most any lower-tier US school.

At any rate, one should generally investigate Ireland or Australia before venturing to the islands, UWI excepted. Also, sometimes schools in a foreign language you may have facility in.

Also, if you have peers who have gone before you authenticating a pre-med advisors as above, consider yourself blessed.

What is UWI? Also how does AUC rate in your opinion?

Hey there, you're asking the question I just had to ask a few months ago. I've ended up matriculating at SGU. I've found that most of my classes numbers hover around 8,9's on the MCAT and 3.2-3.6's, at least from word of mouth. But damn, one thing I never guessed was the diversity of the class. We have several chiropractors, one MD from Iraq who needs the North American Model, tons of nurses and EMT's and the like. I will tell you that this school is definitely no joke. You'll hear the "beach mill" flame posts and the like, but these people are A+++ when it comes to teaching and facilities, that's no bull. I graduated from a university ranked in the top ten medical schools in the world, and I had the chance to take gross anatomy there, and I can tell you hands down this sgu has far superior facilities...not to mention tons of review groups, professor assistance, and TA's that just pound this stuff into your head. The pace is a little accelerated, but its do-able. I know Ireland or the UK sounds good, because it seems to equate more with the sophistication of the U.S., but I'll tell you what, you're gonna be learning a different model of medicine than the U.S. model. Just to warn you. The great thing about sgu is that we learn the u.s., british, and caribbean models of medicine all together, not to mention the utterly top notch visiting professors we get. Get this: the author of our histology atlas and book, his name is ereshencko, lectures here for a month. How many other schools can say that? Got a question, ask the author...pretty cool. I don't know many u.s. allopathic schools that can say that, and certainly no osteopathic schools can. I strongly urge you to check this place out. I was skeptical from all the posts left here bashing caribbean schools, but i couldn't be more satisfied. Maybe I pay higher tuition, but when you can learn directly from the authors of your medical textbooks, who comes out ahead in the long run? Good luck

bVmp!

l3T chA05 Re1gN!

Is this a joke?

OK, seriously. I heard that the best schools in the carribeans have actually turned down people who later on went to Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Duke, etc. There is such high demand, even for the teaching positions that they've had to turn down at least 1/2 of all Nobel Prize winners who want to teach there. Also, there are no other foreign schools anywhere, but the Caribbeans. It's true. All the French docs, German, Italian docs were once Caribbean grads.

bjjack said:
What is UWI? Also how does AUC rate in your opinion?

UWI = The University of the West Indies. Serving most of the former British Island colonies, mainly out of Jamaica. It's the "Non-Caribbean Caribbean School" in the sense that it's not at all focused on training physicians to go to the US, UK or other non-charter country, but to train the local physicians in the region.

Thus, they operate on the British MBBS system, and actually have a very good reputation. Oh, and it's not a for-profit operation either, unlike ALL other Carib med schools.

There are plenty of medical schools that are not in the Carribean and there are schools that don't require you to take the MCAT's. In Europe, the med. schools have 6yr programs for people fresh out of H.S. and 4yr programs for those with undergrad degree's.

You can search for foreign med schools under the IMED link here:

http://www.ecfmg.org/

You don't have to limit yourself to the Carribean and some European programs are actually less expensive.

For what it's worth, I attended Columbia and BGU's Medical School for International Health in Israel on the strength of a 35 on the MCAT. It basically is an American-style program, i.e. four years, two preclinical and two clinical. It uses the problem-based learning model a la Mt Sinai in NYC, and has good residency placements in the US, if that's where you intend to practice.

There are plenty of medical schools that are not in the Carribean and there are schools that don't require you to take the MCAT's. In Europe, the med. schools have 6yr programs for people fresh out of H.S. and 4yr programs for those with undergrad degree's.

You can search for foreign med schools under the IMED link here:

http://www.ecfmg.org/

You don't have to limit yourself to the Carribean and some European programs are actually less expensive.

Would this also make sense for an American who got a BA in California and wants to practice in the States?

Would this also make sense for an American who got a BA in California and wants to practice in the States?

Would what make sense - going abroad for medical school?

If you tried and couldn't get into a US school and understood the possible complications of studying abroad, it might make sense. Thousands before you have made that decision.