Easiest/Best State to Establish Residency for Admissions? - CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So this topic has been covered to a certain extent in other threads, but I wanted to ask a more specific question.

Basically, after my graduation from undergrad, I will be taking a year off, from June to June, until I will be applying for medical school.

What state could I/ would be advantageous to move to in order to establish residency in my year that I have before admissions?

So far I've heard TX, NY, OH, IL FL are good states to be residents of, but which ones have easy residency requirements at a majority of their schools?

Would gaining NY residency be disadvantageous to me since I am a CA resident and I have seen that the NY state schools look favorably upon CA residents/applicants?

Also, please keep in mind I am applying EXTREMELY broadly (~30 schools, if not more), so calling the specific schools would be a ridiculous time sink.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

So this topic has been covered to a certain extent in other threads, but I wanted to ask a more specific question.

Basically, after my graduation from undergrad, I will be taking a year off, from June to June, until I will be applying for medical school.

What state could I/ would be advantageous to move to in order to establish residency in my year that I have before admissions?

So far I've heard TX, NY, OH, IL FL are good states to be residents of, but which ones have easy residency requirements at a majority of their schools?

Would gaining NY residency be disadvantageous to me since I am a CA resident and I have seen that the NY state schools look favorably upon CA residents/applicants?

Also, please keep in mind I am applying EXTREMELY broadly (~30 schools, if not more), so calling the specific schools would be a ridiculous time sink.

Texas is your best choice. However, you need to check up on the residency information. Also, you will want to have a job lined up before you move. You will have to show a large amount of proof for residency, and explain it as not moving to Texas to go to medical school.

Hi,

So will you have one year or two years off before matriculating? If its just one I do not believe it would be at all beneficial to relocate because at the time of applying you would still be a resident of your home state giving you no advantage. The only thing it may help with would be in state tuition upon matriculation, but you would have to guess which school you are going to matriculated to and even then some schools require 18 months or 2 years for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like he'd have two years off before matriculation.

OP, gaining NY residency would not harm you (though it's probably not as wise a move as TX). Yes, the SUNY's are friendly to CA residents, but I bet they're even more friendly to their own residents!

All the states you named are good besides NY (which is decent).

Make sure you do all your residency research beforehand though; adcoms can tell if you moved to a state just for their academic/med school purposes.

At Ohio state schools even if you start as an OOS student it's pretty easy to get IS tuition after one year so I wouldn't think that it would be too hard to claim residency if you've lived there for a year before you even apply.

So will you have one year or two years off before matriculating? If its just one I do not believe it would be at all beneficial to relocate because at the time of applying you would still be a resident of your home state giving you no advantage. The only thing it may help with would be in state tuition upon matriculation, but you would have to guess which school you are going to matriculated to and even then some schools require 18 months or 2 years for residency.

I was under the impression that most states you're only required to be living in a state for 12 months before your application period in order to be considered "in state"? If I moved right after I graduated, I would have about a year in order to establish residency. From what I know I would only need to not be a dependent on my parents tax forms, find a job and not take classes, right?

Yeah, 12 months before the application cycle should be enough, but I would definitely check with the schools in the state before moving. Most of the time it can be found on their website.

Texas is your best choice. However, you need to check up on the residency information. Also, you will want to have a job lined up before you move. You will have to show a large amount of proof for residency, and explain it as not moving to Texas to go to medical school.

Hmm... I'm guessing proving residency for medical school in Texas is different from undergrad. Though there was a long questionnaire, it seemed that all they really wanted to see was the 12 months worth of pay stubs.

Rule out Illinois. Only 2 state schools, one of which primarily accepts students from central and southern portions of the state. It has many med schools, but mostly private.