Easiest DPT Programs in NY??

Started by chung2509
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chung2509

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am currently attending the University at Buffalo in NY and I will be a senior next year there, planning to graduate in spring 2009. After that I would like to get into a graduate DPT program somewhere near NYC or stay in Buffalo for my graduate studies. Thing is, this past year I did not do too well (got about a 2.65 gpa for the year) although my overall will be around a 3.0. I was wondering what would be the easiest DPT programs to get into in the NYC area or if it would even be possible to get into Buffalo? Keep in mind I will have a exercise science degree by the end of spring 2009 pending that I will complete all my classes.
 
I don't think there is a true answer to your questions as in general, PT school is not easy to get into. In the NYC area, I know all the schools are competitive, with CUNY Hunter most likely being one of the tougher ones because it is a much cheaper state school leading to a larger applicant pool. Most other schools in the city are private schools. If you are hovering around a 3.0, you can still have a good shot as many schools have realized that good grades don't necessarily mean good clinicians. That being said, you must show you have a strong background such as volunteer/aide experience, a good GRE, strong references, good science GPA, etc. Just work hard for better grades this coming year and you'll be fine. good luck.
 
If you prepreq GPA isn't over 3.0, I say don't even bother to apply to UB. They also don't like seeing repeated classes on your transcript. I haven't come across any easy to get into DPT schools yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think there is a true answer to your questions as in general, PT school is not easy to get into. In the NYC area, I know all the schools are competitive, with CUNY Hunter most likely being one of the tougher ones because it is a much cheaper state school leading to a larger applicant pool. Most other schools in the city are private schools. If you are hovering around a 3.0, you can still have a good shot as many schools have realized that good grades don't necessarily mean good clinicians. That being said, you must show you have a strong background such as volunteer/aide experience, a good GRE, strong references, good science GPA, etc. Just work hard for better grades this coming year and you'll be fine. good luck.

I was thinking perhaps maybe stony brook? or NYIT? was anyone else stuck in a similar situation as mine? any help would be appreciated, its kind of stressing me out. thanks.

also, i will email the chair of the department of dpt to see if it is okay to repeat some classes, which i did plan on doing for two of my classes that i took last year.
 
They also don't like seeing repeated classes on your transcript. I haven't come across any easy to get into DPT schools yet.
I agree with the above. From what I've heard, most schools would rather have you take a similar course than retake the same course.
 
I was thinking perhaps maybe stony brook? or NYIT? was anyone else stuck in a similar situation as mine? any help would be appreciated, its kind of stressing me out. thanks.

also, i will email the chair of the department of dpt to see if it is okay to repeat some classes, which i did plan on doing for two of my classes that i took last year.


I don't believe SBU will be an easy school to get into. They had ~160 applicants this year for 33 spots and expect more next year. I was told that if you did not have a 3.0 gpa they would not even consider the application.
 
If you have a low GPA, but in the last 60-80 units you have done really strong and your overall GPA doesn't do your status justice; express that to them and they will definitely look past your overall GPA for that regard.