Easiest DPT Programs in NY??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chung2509

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently attending the University at Buffalo in NY and I will be a senior next year there, planning to graduate in spring 2009. After that I would like to get into a graduate DPT program somewhere near NYC or stay in Buffalo for my graduate studies. Thing is, this past year I did not do too well (got about a 2.65 gpa for the year) although my overall will be around a 3.0. I was wondering what would be the easiest DPT programs to get into in the NYC area or if it would even be possible to get into Buffalo? Keep in mind I will have a exercise science degree by the end of spring 2009 pending that I will complete all my classes.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there is a true answer to your questions as in general, PT school is not easy to get into. In the NYC area, I know all the schools are competitive, with CUNY Hunter most likely being one of the tougher ones because it is a much cheaper state school leading to a larger applicant pool. Most other schools in the city are private schools. If you are hovering around a 3.0, you can still have a good shot as many schools have realized that good grades don't necessarily mean good clinicians. That being said, you must show you have a strong background such as volunteer/aide experience, a good GRE, strong references, good science GPA, etc. Just work hard for better grades this coming year and you'll be fine. good luck.

If you prepreq GPA isn't over 3.0, I say don't even bother to apply to UB. They also don't like seeing repeated classes on your transcript. I haven't come across any easy to get into DPT schools yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there is a true answer to your questions as in general, PT school is not easy to get into. In the NYC area, I know all the schools are competitive, with CUNY Hunter most likely being one of the tougher ones because it is a much cheaper state school leading to a larger applicant pool. Most other schools in the city are private schools. If you are hovering around a 3.0, you can still have a good shot as many schools have realized that good grades don't necessarily mean good clinicians. That being said, you must show you have a strong background such as volunteer/aide experience, a good GRE, strong references, good science GPA, etc. Just work hard for better grades this coming year and you'll be fine. good luck.

I was thinking perhaps maybe stony brook? or NYIT? was anyone else stuck in a similar situation as mine? any help would be appreciated, its kind of stressing me out. thanks.

also, i will email the chair of the department of dpt to see if it is okay to repeat some classes, which i did plan on doing for two of my classes that i took last year.

They also don't like seeing repeated classes on your transcript. I haven't come across any easy to get into DPT schools yet.
I agree with the above. From what I've heard, most schools would rather have you take a similar course than retake the same course.

I was thinking perhaps maybe stony brook? or NYIT? was anyone else stuck in a similar situation as mine? any help would be appreciated, its kind of stressing me out. thanks.

also, i will email the chair of the department of dpt to see if it is okay to repeat some classes, which i did plan on doing for two of my classes that i took last year.

I don't believe SBU will be an easy school to get into. They had ~160 applicants this year for 33 spots and expect more next year. I was told that if you did not have a 3.0 gpa they would not even consider the application.

If you have a low GPA, but in the last 60-80 units you have done really strong and your overall GPA doesn't do your status justice; express that to them and they will definitely look past your overall GPA for that regard.