"easiest" med schools to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annabelle.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I realize that no med school is easy to get into, but I would like to know which ones are believed to be the easiest MD med schools to get in (in the US).

Members don't see this ad.

The med schools that are considered "easiest" are often also the ones that receive the greatest number of applications (7000+). Therefore, they are statistically not easy to get into at all! I will let others tell you which schools these are, cause off-hand I don't know for sure and I don't want anyone to get mad at me for calling their school easy...plus, really no med school is easy to get into.

Your safest bet would to be a resident in a state such as Ohio, Texas or New York. All of these states have a relatively high number of schools that give preference to in-state students. This immediately gives you a push past the non-resident apps.

Perhaps it depends on what "easy" is...as the poster before me mentioned, a high applicant pool would make the statistical numbers of persons admitted very low, and thus not be "easy" to get into.
Looking at the average data of matriculants may make things a bit clearer...ave MCAT, GPA for example. But all the stuff about well rounded, good letters, good PS, good interview is likely a factor too.

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
It really all depends on what State you live in. For example in Arkansas about 50% of the applicants get accepted to UAMS, so I guess that would be pretty easy to get into. If you are not a resident though your chances are pretty much non-existent.

I'll throw in my 2 cents in agreement with the above responders to the Original post. Easy is situational. Are you a resident of a state that does not have a med school? If so (such as the WICHE states) it is much easier to get into some great schools (UofWash, UofColorado, etc) versus not being a resident of a member state. Easy might be applying only to big-time, #'s driven research schools having a 3.8GPA and a 39MCAT while being a total social basketcase who can't relate to another living object. Easy is relative to you and your circumstances. I would recommend defining who you are as an applicant (ie super strong clinical history and a personable individual who can interview great but w/ low #'s , or young, good numbers but no life/clinical experience who might not interview well, etc) and focus on programs that have histories of accepting students similar to you as an applicant.
Take the above for whatever it might be worth to you.

UMass has a 25% acceptance rate mostely because you have to be a Mass resident to get in. But the applicants numbers wouldn't really say that it is "easy" to get in. I suppose it is a little easier because not so much outside competition.

fullefect1 said:
UMass has a 25% acceptance rate mostely because you have to be a Mass resident to get in. But the applicants numbers wouldn't really say that it is "easy" to get in. I suppose it is a little easier because not so much outside competition.

UMass is one of the tougher state schools to get into. It has an average MCAT of 32 and a GPA of 3.6. If you are a state resident of North Dakota or Vermont you have a better chance with low statistics.

The other tough thing about UMASS is that you have to have lived in the state for 5 years before you are considered a resident for their tuition purposes. Most places only require a year, I believe.