1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

"easiest" med schools to get in?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by annabelle., Apr 28, 2004.

1. annabelle.

annabelle. Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,
    I realize that no med school is easy to get into, but I would like to know which ones are believed to be the easiest MD med schools to get in (in the US).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Angeliqua

Angeliqua Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The med schools that are considered "easiest" are often also the ones that receive the greatest number of applications (7000+). Therefore, they are statistically not easy to get into at all! I will let others tell you which schools these are, cause off-hand I don't know for sure and I don't want anyone to get mad at me for calling their school easy...plus, really no med school is easy to get into.

Your safest bet would to be a resident in a state such as Ohio, Texas or New York. All of these states have a relatively high number of schools that give preference to in-state students. This immediately gives you a push past the non-resident apps.

4. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Perhaps it depends on what "easy" is...as the poster before me mentioned, a high applicant pool would make the statistical numbers of persons admitted very low, and thus not be "easy" to get into.
    Looking at the average data of matriculants may make things a bit clearer...ave MCAT, GPA for example. But all the stuff about well rounded, good letters, good PS, good interview is likely a factor too.

dc

5. orthoman5000

orthoman5000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

It really all depends on what State you live in. For example in Arkansas about 50% of the applicants get accepted to UAMS, so I guess that would be pretty easy to get into. If you are not a resident though your chances are pretty much non-existent.

6. HeavyD

HeavyD Member
    5+ Year Member

I'll throw in my 2 cents in agreement with the above responders to the Original post. Easy is situational. Are you a resident of a state that does not have a med school? If so (such as the WICHE states) it is much easier to get into some great schools (UofWash, UofColorado, etc) versus not being a resident of a member state. Easy might be applying only to big-time, #'s driven research schools having a 3.8GPA and a 39MCAT while being a total social basketcase who can't relate to another living object. Easy is relative to you and your circumstances. I would recommend defining who you are as an applicant (ie super strong clinical history and a personable individual who can interview great but w/ low #'s , or young, good numbers but no life/clinical experience who might not interview well, etc) and focus on programs that have histories of accepting students similar to you as an applicant.
    Take the above for whatever it might be worth to you.

7. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

UMass has a 25% acceptance rate mostely because you have to be a Mass resident to get in. But the applicants numbers wouldn't really say that it is "easy" to get in. I suppose it is a little easier because not so much outside competition.

8. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UMass is one of the tougher state schools to get into. It has an average MCAT of 32 and a GPA of 3.6. If you are a state resident of North Dakota or Vermont you have a better chance with low statistics.

9. Angeliqua

Angeliqua Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The other tough thing about UMASS is that you have to have lived in the state for 5 years before you are considered a resident for their tuition purposes. Most places only require a year, I believe.