Easiest upper division science classes for DIY post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okyeah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm returning to school in Spring 2025 for my DIY post bacc and I want to maximize my chances of a 4.0. I have already taken all my prereqs besides biochem and orgo 1 and 2.

What were some of the easiest classes you guys have taken that were upper division science?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Highly depends on the school and professor. Any class can be made difficult if the professor wants it to be difficult. For me, microbiology, evolution, and marine biology were some of my easier classes

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

I'm returning to school in Spring 2027 for my DIY post bacc and I want to maximize my chances of a 4.0. I have already taken all my prereqs besides biochem and orgo 1 and 2.

What were some of the easiest classes you guys have taken that were upper division science?
How do you define "easy"? I think grad school classes where you had to read current literature and report on it every couple of weeks was easy. Others vehemently disagree. Of course, to get there, you still had to go through biochem, microbio, immuno, physiol, and genetics/advanced cell bio.

Depends on your strengths. I found micro extremely easy. Anatomy and physiology was a bitch. Neuroanatomy became my main love. Find an area you’re interested in, if you enjoy the material it will help.

If you're looking for easy, how are you going to handle a med school curriculum???

I feel that would be mischaracterizing this situation.

Also, I have a quick question for you Goro, if you have time. I am beginning to formulate my post-bacc schedule and I absolutely need Organic chem 1 + 2, and biochem. Generally speaking - do I take 2 science courses with 1 elective class (something from the humanities) each semester? Or do you have 8 semester hours of upper division science+ organic chem? How do I structure it?

Last edited:

Also, I have a quick question for you Goro, if you have time. I am beginning to formulate my post-bacc schedule and I absolutely need Organic chem 1 + 2, and biochem. Generally speaking - do I take 2 science courses with 1 elective class (something from the humanities) each semester? Or do you have 8 semester hours of upper division science+ organic chem? How do I structure it?
Usually you can't take both organic chemistry courses and labs at the same time, not should you want to. All your academic advisor, but usually you don't want to top 9 hours of science lecture in a traditional undergrad setting. As a non degree postbac, you may have limits that we don't know about. You probably could take an interesting humanities or social science class.

I look at the big picture and try to stay away from granular details.

Hence, you should have 30 credist to show that you have reinvented yourself.

How you get to that point is up to you.

Usually you can't take both organic chemistry courses and labs at the same time, not should you want to. All your academic advisor, but usually you don't want to top 9 hours of science lecture in a traditional undergrad setting. As a non degree postbac, you may have limits that we don't know about. You probably could take an interesting humanities or social science class.

That would make this whole thing a lot easier if I could do that. I was planning on 2 years post-bacc with 12 credits per semester. If I could take 1 elective per semester with 8-9 credits of hard sciences I will probably do that.

I look at the big picture and try to stay away from granular details.

Hence, you should have 30 credist to show that you have reinvented yourself.

How you get to that point is up to you.

I see. I'm taking intro to sociology and intro to psych right now in the Summer and am taking microbio (by itself) this Fall at a community college. That's 11 credits. I plan to take a year off to work as a CNA and self-study + volunteer before returning to do a 48 credit post-bacc. I'm hoping that isn't frowned upon in some way in admissions (I know they don't like seeing taking only 1 class in a semester). When I apply to med school it will be in 2027 and my old degree is from 2018 so I'm also not sure how that will be received. So I should end up with 59 credits of reinvention at the end of this

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
That would make this whole thing a lot easier if I could do that. I was planning on 2 years post-bacc with 12 credits per semester. If I could take 1 elective per semester with 8-9 credits of hard sciences I will probably do that.

I see. I'm taking intro to sociology and intro to psych right now in the Summer and am taking microbio (by itself) this Fall at a community college. That's 11 credits. I plan to take a year off to work as a CNA and self-study + volunteer before returning to do a 48 credit post-bacc. I'm hoping that isn't frowned upon in some way in admissions (I know they don't like seeing taking only 1 class in a semester). When I apply to med school it will be in 2027 and my old degree is from 2018 so I'm also not sure how that will be received. So I should end up with 59 credits of reinvention at the end of this
Good luck!