easiest way from USC to UCSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What up doc

FLASH
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nebody know a couple options from getting from USC to UCSF? I have two days between these interviews and would prefer to knock them out at the same time! any suggestions would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you like driving?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fly virgin america from lax to sfo for $45 or southwest from either lax or burbank to either sfo or oakland for $49. Amtrak sounds cheap because its a train but its not really.

Amtrak would be a little bit more expensive than a plane. I'm also not sure if there's a direct train to San Fransisco from Union Station in LA. Either way you'll be fine and can easily make it there in a day. Make sure you account for the traffic you'll likely face taking a taxi cab to either the train station or LAX. Both will probably have a significant amount of traffic.

Maybe AMTRAK? It'd be a really long ride though.
I think amtrak goes down to LA, but it's more expensive than a plane! And it's exhausting :p

There's also greyhound...but I think that's the same price as flying...so it's also not worth it. Fly southwest or jetblue for 50. I never knew virgin is 45, but I guess you have that option too.

I'm for the train prop just because I live in LA and want to get to SF in two hours. I could care less about the rest of California. Train prop ftw.

I'm for the train prop just because I live in LA and want to get to SF in two hours. I could care less about the rest of California. Train prop ftw.

Ah but where is that 9B (most of which is going to lawyers and evironmentalist bs, NOT the construction of anything) going to come from when our state has declared that basic services are going to have to be cut due to budget deficit?

PS that is already possible--its called a plane, airline is southwest.

Southwest is too fast. I don't like 45 min rides.

Check out megabus.com. You're gonna have to find your way from the drop off point to San Francisco but it's just another option.

thanx ppls....im thinkin plane. though i would prefer the cheaper option, if convience means a difference of 40 or 50 dollars, i would prefer that route. yikes, this is kinda intimidating....more suggestions welcome!

definitely plane.

Check out megabus.com. You're gonna have to find your way from the drop off point to San Francisco but it's just another option.
Do they run in California? This is their service map:
us_main.gif

That might leave you with a mighty long walk.

Greyhound is ~$40-50 and nearly 8 hours. Virgin will be about $60-70 and be 1.5 hours. Don't take a cab from USC to the airport, that's $50. Take their free shuttle to Union Station then take the FlyAway bus to LAX for $6.

Do they run in California? This is their service map:
us_main.gif

That might leave you with a mighty long walk.

Greyhound is ~$40-50 and nearly 8 hours. Virgin will be about $60-70 and be 1.5 hours. Don't take a cab from USC to the airport, that's $50. Take their free shuttle to Union Station then take the FlyAway bus to LAX for $6.
And once in san francisco, take the bart. You can easily find a $45-50 flight (southwest, jetblue, or virgin) and $5 for the bart...you pay about $60 total to get from LA to SF in 2 hours...that's not bad, right?

LAX --> Oakland on Southwest

or

LAX --> San Francisco Airport (SFO) on Virgin America

I prefer to fly into Oakland, but SFO is nice too. You can't go wrong traveling from LA to the Bay Area. If anything, there are TOO MANY convenient, affordable options.

Cheap flight through Virgin America or Southwest from LAX to SFO... you can take the BART into the city from the airport. =) To get straight to campus using public transportation, you can get off at the Daly City Station, and take the 28 bus through 19th Avenue until you get Judah, and take the "N Judah" line up and it'll drop it behind UCSF in a few short stops. :)