Easiest way to get from Providence to Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Graat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview in Boston, and have a free southwest ticket. Southwest doesn't fly to Boston, but they fly to Providence. Since parking sucks in Boston, renting a car doesn't seem like a good idea. Can anyone give me tips on public transportation :love: please :love:
I'm arriving in Providence just after 4pm on a Sunday, and need to be back 10am on Wednesday.

Members don't see this ad.

Graat said:
I have an interview in Boston, and have a free southwest ticket. Southwest doesn't fly to Boston, but they fly to Providence. Since parking sucks in Boston, renting a car doesn't seem like a good idea. Can anyone give me tips on public transportation :love: please :love:
I'm arriving in Providence just after 4pm on a Sunday, and need to be back 10am on Wednesday.

amtrak it; i think it is about 40 minutes?
or, you could southwest into manchester, NH, which is (again, i think) an hour from boston

agree...the train or the bus. Both fast and convenient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graat said:

You'll have to get to downtown Providence first - take a RIPTA bus for $1.25 or cab $30 or airport shuttle $9. Then I'd recommend a bus from Kennedy Plaza. Bonanza (www.bonanzabus.com for schedules) is $14 round trip. If you wanna greyhound it, its like a buck cheaper than bonanzabus but sketchy people abound. Amtrak is more expensive. Also, there is the commuter rail on weekdays that is only $6 one way. That you go to the train station for. The bus and train stations are only a 5-7 minute walk apart.

Hope this helps! :)

First you have to take the RIPTA from T.F. Green to Providence. The bus costs like 1.25 or so. If you're really feeling cheap (and ballsy) tell the driver you're a providence college student and you lost your id (PC students ride ripta free). From there you can take the bonanzabus to boston, which I believe goes to south station for $20 or so. A better option is to walk to the amtrak train station from kennedy plaza. (directions: Cross the street to the Biltmore hotel, walk towards the capital building [up Francis St.] the Providence Place mall is on your left. Cross Francis St at about the center of the mall. The amtrak station is a squat grey building along a little road over there. the commuter rail runs to south station for $6, which is probably where you want to go. You can pick up the red line inbound there, and can get anywhere from there (bu, harvard, etc) good luck!

Hey, thanks for all the replies. SDN rocks!