East Carolina University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammersmith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is this program? Looks like they are well known for their EM. They are also ranked 16'th in US news for primary care. I am interested in this program since this is the only one to invite me from NC. Does anyone care to comment?

Members don't see this ad.

ECU is pretty nice. I interviewed there recently and I liked the school. The focus of the school is mainly on primary care, but you can choose to go into any specialty you want. They have integrated technology into their curriculum by having wireless internet, having digital histology slides, etc. I think the main thing is that they seemed to be very committed to their patients which was very refreshing to see. The town is not as rural as people say it is. The people there are very friendly as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there last year for their combined EM/IM program. Their IM program seemed very strong to me. The hospital sees a broad range of pathology, the residents seemed quite happy, and what I saw of the formal teaching look pretty top notch. Several of the IM residents went on to do fellowships at good places. Greenville is a small town/city which might not be for everyone, though cost of living is very low.

Hope this helps.