East Coast Program Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeepThought

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Longtime lurker here...I'm a 3rd year DO student who has pretty much decided to go into psych.

I'm a non-trad with a family. I'm looking for some suggestions on which East Coast (preferably mid-atlantic) programs might be a good fit for me. I'm willing to work, but I would like places with more of a balance if possible.

My goal at this point is definitely private practice, possibly in child psych. I'm not a research guy, so a big academic place isn't that important to me.

We like small-ish cities, so places like Wake Forest or UVA would be higher on our list than, say, Hopkins.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it, even if it's in a non-east-coast state. I'm just trying to put out some feelers in prep for next year. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

New Jersey has some good programs where you can get great teaching along with the experience.

Hello everyone,

Longtime lurker here...I'm a 3rd year DO student who has pretty much decided to go into psych.

I'm a non-trad with a family. I'm looking for some suggestions on which East Coast (preferably mid-atlantic) programs might be a good fit for me. I'm willing to work, but I would like places with more of a balance if possible.

My goal at this point is definitely private practice, possibly in child psych. I'm not a research guy, so a big academic place isn't that important to me.

We like small-ish cities, so places like Wake Forest or UVA would be higher on our list than, say, Hopkins.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it, even if it's in a non-east-coast state. I'm just trying to put out some feelers in prep for next year. Thanks everyone!

New Jersey has some good programs where you can get great teaching along with the experience.

Thanks...I'll look into it, although it's a bit farther north than we'd like to go. Any specific places you'd recommend?

I'm really wondering more about places in the mid-south east...UVA? Roanoke? Wake Forest? Duke? South Carolina? Georgia? Any opinions, anyone?

Thanks...I'll look into it, although it's a bit farther north than we'd like to go. Any specific places you'd recommend?

I'm really wondering more about places in the mid-south east...UVA? Roanoke? Wake Forest? Duke? South Carolina? Georgia? Any opinions, anyone?

I'm also a 3rd year student, and don't really know much about these programs, but here's what I've got...maybe someone else could back me up...

UVa: I'm from Charlottesville, and in general, the UVa programs are very solid and well respected. It's a great small town, and I'd imagine the psych program would be very good. I've heard the IM program is fairly brutal, but not malignant.

SC: I've heard very good things about the Palmetto program from my attending on my psych rotation in Florida. He did his fellowship there and loved it. He said the work-life balance was great, with great camaraderie and understanding of family issues. I'd definitely check it out.

I don't know much about the other programs, so I'll leave that up to others.