East Coast Residency Suggestions?

Started by HDRphoto
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HDRphoto

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone could suggest some residency programs within my range of competitiveness on the East Coast. I'm finding it difficult to get a good read on which programs I would have a chance at. I've been looking at APGO, but many of the programs do not list Step scores and it seems like the information is out of date for some of them (says 0 FMG, but then resident list has an FMG etc.)

My stats are as follows:
Male
Step 1: 215
Step 2: 259
Honors in IM and Surgery
77 on OB/GYN Shelf
No honors first 2 years
No published research currently working on a small ob/gyn project

I'm sure I can match somewhere with the application I have put together, I just wondered if I could get some insight into some places that wouldn't be "reaches" for me.

Also if you could point me in the direction of any better resources I would appreciate it!
 
I really liked Vermont, Dartmouth, Maine and Rochester and I think those would all be within your reach.
 
I was wondering if anyone could suggest some residency programs within my range of competitiveness on the East Coast. I'm finding it difficult to get a good read on which programs I would have a chance at. I've been looking at APGO, but many of the programs do not list Step scores and it seems like the information is out of date for some of them (says 0 FMG, but then resident list has an FMG etc.)

My stats are as follows:
Male
Step 1: 215
Step 2: 259
Honors in IM and Surgery
77 on OB/GYN Shelf
No honors first 2 years
No published research currently working on a small ob/gyn project

I'm sure I can match somewhere with the application I have put together, I just wondered if I could get some insight into some places that wouldn't be "reaches" for me.

Also if you could point me in the direction of any better resources I would appreciate it!

Being boys will really help us at many programs. We're somewhat in the same boat stats-wise - mediocre Step 1, better Step 2, but similar in other aspects (though I have a few more honors and an advanced degree). What tier med school are you coming from? My advisors at Penn have me applying to 20 programs all over the country (I have no geographic needs). They say MGH/Brigham is a reach, but pretty much everywhere else on the East coast is fair game.

There are obviously too many to list, and it depends on what school you're coming from. But speaking from my city, for instance, you might as well apply at Penn and give it a go. Thomas Jefferson has a great program, and I believe you'd be competetive there. Pennsylvania Hospital (which has a relationship with Penn similar to the one BID has with Harvard) has really great people and you'd be sought after. Other programs I can't speak as much about in the city are Temple, and Drexel, though I personally know the Drexel residency who is wonderful. Oh, and one random non-Philly program - Brown. People love that program!

Is there someone at you program who you can talk to about this? I think they could provide better advice than most of us. I haven't come across anything better than APGO, which isn't saying much. Can you look at your school's old match lists to get an idea?
 
Last edited: