"easy" phd/psyd programs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msnyc26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading/hearing a lot about doctoral level programs in psychology....can anyone shed some light on the phd and psyd programs that are known to be less rigorous and the ones that are very challenging?? i know that in terms of admissions, many people claim psyd programs are easier to get into -- but once you're in what are the demands like? can you work during these programs? do you have a social life? do most people find these programs very challenging or are some programs easy to breeze through?

i hold a BA in psych, and an MSW, and i'm considering going back to school because even though i am eligible for licensure with an MSW, there are limits to what i can do -- any thoughts from this community? would it be better to go to a phd, a psyd, or med school or should i just stick with the degree i have?

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

Members don't see this ad.

stick with the degree you have. any phd program that is "easy" is certainly not worth yours or anyone else's time.

My advice is go for it.

You probably have a ton of great experience.

But watch out that some schools seem to have concern with older students (ie. how will you have the time ....)

While programs look for minorities to have a blend and some look for males because their programs are 80+% female they may not be looking for older students.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you're asking so you can cross the 'easy' programs off your list!

Since this is your desired field, you want a TOUGH program, one that will push you and one you'll learn in, get the experience in. If this is what you want, the more knowledge and experience the better!!

An easy program won't help you be a great clinician or a great research.

Jon
PS--No doctoral program is easy...

i'm by no means an "older" student (i'm 24)...i took a yr off after college and have just completed my msw....i don't think that doctoral level programs are by any means "easy" but i'm wondering from people that are in school now, or have been going through the admissions process recently what the reputations are....is it better to go for a phd or a psyd? or should i just try for medical school? will i be in debt forever? i suspect that some programs are easier than others, some are apa accredited and some are not...just like with medical school, there is duke medical school and then there is st georges medical school in the carribbean -- while both offer the same program and the similar degrees one is known to be more rigourous than the other....i am not familiar with the standards in place for psyd and phd programs so that's why i'm posting here

There are no easy doctoral programs. My husband (med school) and I (clinical psych phd) both applied to grad school at the same time and the reputations of the rigor and intensity of the admissions process for each was true for us and our friends. The people who are competing for these limited spots are top notch and super competitive. I can't say anything about PsyD programs because I have no experience with them, although I do know they tend to accept more students than PhD programs.

If you don't want to be in debt, the PhD program is the only way to go. Most of them are fully funded and offer a stipend for living expenses. Medical school can run up to $50K/year although because the payoff is greater in terms of salary, the expense may be worth it. PsyD programs can run up to $35k/year but some would say that debt isn't justified since the earning potential isn't that much.

If you apply to PhD programs, apply to APA accredited and funded programs. This will ensure your ability to more easily find a job and stay debt-free after graduation. Most "good" PhD programs are funded (i.e. will waive tuition).

To answer your questions about ability to work/have a social life, etc.: My husband and I are both full-time students. Both of our programs require this of us. There is no time to work, except for an occassional babysitting job. The most challenging part of my graduate school experience has been time management. I have to set aside time for research, TAing, working on my Master's Thesis, classes and my practicum placement. So far, the classwork isn't especially challenging, but the demands on my time are extremely challenging. I do have an active social life. Other than finals or midterms time, I go out every weekend and about once a week. If you are willing to give up this time, it may be possible to have a part-time job, although not in therapy. The school probably would not allow you to work in the field outside of your practica due to the liability. There are very strict rules on what types and hours of part time jobs that students here maintain. I do not think this is something you could breeze through.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to pursue.

My first thought in response to your posting was "why??". As you mentioned, you can obtain licensure as an MSW. I would stop and consider (if you haven't already...maybe you have) what your long-term goals are and how a PhD or PsyD will help you achieve them. While hopefully the pendulum will swing the other direction over time, the market in many cases has limited the benefits of being a psychologist vs. social worker. That is to say, while clinical psychologists have much more and specialized training than MSWs, in many instances 3rd party payers or employers may not care. If you are considering a career in academia or research, it would be very helpful to go the Ph.D. route.
Many people pursue the clinical psychology doctorate with the goal of doing clinical work, and become disillusioned when they find job openings advertising for social workers, counselors, MFTs, and oh yeah, psychologists too.

If you're primarily interested in clinical work, you may want to stick with the MSW! If you were interested in academia (a faculty/research position), a PhD, a PhD (rather than a PsyD) may be for you!