Easy rotations during your 4th year...bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ologist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if taking very cush rotations your 4th year (e.g. Derm, rads, anesthesia, PM&R) would be a negative when the residencies evaluate your transcript. Would doing too many of the previously mentioned rotaitons (for instance, all of them) be viewed as being a student that just wanted to coast their entire 4th year?

Don't get me wrong, i plan to do other, more rigorous rotations. However, i also wanted to time to relax, esp. after the match and around december and onward.

What are your thoughts?

p.s. i preapologize to the people out there that are going to jump all over me for saying that their field is "cush"

Members don't see this ad.

Residencies don't see your transcript past October or November. Do your sub-I's and whatnot first, then sleep the rest of the year. I don't think it matters at all.

Um...if you want to do extra ICU & cardiothoracic surgery months in April after the match, be my guest.... :laugh:

It's amazing how much your motivation dies once you know where you're going. Seriously, I had radiology in March, and the neurorads attending (who was also the PD) was amazed that I wanted to stick around after lunch...or that I even showed up at all.

Enjoy yourself; it's the last true summer vacation you'll get!

Everyone takes cush rotations during their fourth year. That's the whole point of being a fourth year.

I, however, was a ***** and did an ICU rotation in April of my fourth year. I learned a lot, and the residents were nice enough to let me go early quite a few times, but having to be there before 7 kind of sucked.

My rotation after that, however, was cardiology - a rotation that we only saw the current inpatients (we didn't do new consults - the attending did), and were done rounding by 10:30 am. I would go to noon lecture, then go back to the housing (that was across the street from the hospital) and watch soaps... :laugh:

Second half of 4th year? All easy rotations for me.

The first half was a different story, however.

Blade28 said:
Second half of 4th year? All easy rotations for me.

The first half was a different story, however.
This is how to do it! Residency will teach you what u need to know..

Exactly! First half of 4th year, I had Step 2 CK and CS within a month of each other, as well as 2 sub-Is, 2 away electives, and a SICU month.

Second half? "Research" for 2 months, anesthesia, radiology, among others. :)

For my first half, I took Step 2 CK and CS, did a sub-I, ER, and some more diffecult electives. My second half was a breeze. It might be tough for the first few weeks of internship, but I'm sure everything will come back to me pretty quickly.