Easy things the Hard things for me

Started by JakeMUSC
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JakeMUSC

D3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

I dont understand how this compound, 3-Bromo 4 Chloro 5 Methyl hexane has 3 chiral centers.

------H--Br--Cl---CH3--H
CH3--C--C---C----C----C -H
-----H-- H---H----H----H

(can u visualize that?)

My review book says, Carbon 3, 4, and 5 are chiral centers.

I understand that why 3 and 4 are chiral, but why is carbon 5 chiral?

Its bonded to a methyl at top, a methyl on right, a H on bottom, and C to the left. Doesnt the fact that its bonded to 2 methyls mean that its not bonded to 4 different subsitiuents? Is this an error in my book?
 
JakeMUSC said:
Hey,

I dont understand how this compound, 3-Bromo 4 Chloro 5 Methyl hexane has 3 chiral centers.

------H--Br--Cl---CH3--H
CH3--C--C---C----C----C -H
-----H-- H---H----H----H

(can u visualize that?)

My review book says, Carbon 3, 4, and 5 are chiral centers.

I understand that why 3 and 4 are chiral, but why is carbon 5 chiral?

Its bonded to a methyl at top, a methyl on right, a H on bottom, and C to the left. Doesnt the fact that its bonded to 2 methyls mean that its not bonded to 4 different subsitiuents? Is this an error in my book?
You are correct. All four have to be different. Also the naming doesn't sound right to me. It should be 4-bromo-3-chloro-2-methylhexane (instead of 5-methyl), shouldn't it?
 
luder98 said:
You are correct. All four have to be different. Also the naming doesn't sound right to me. It should be 4-bromo-3-chloro-2-methylhexane (instead of 5-methyl), shouldn't it?
I thought that the substituents should be placed on the lowest numbered carbons as well.
 
calbear14 said:
I thought that the substituents should be placed on the lowest numbered carbons as well.

Yeah, I forgot to do that in the nomenclature. So there are only 2 chiral centers??