1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

easy trig questions i can't figure out! help!

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by msu08, Jan 7, 2009.

1. msu08

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    from crack dat math

1)what is the value of (sin pi/3)(tan-3pi/4) answer is sqrt3/2 i understand sin pi/3 is sqrt 3/2 but how is tan-3pi/4 = 1? i know tan pi/4 is 1.... any help? i'm terrible at trig.

2) cos 7 pi/4 + sin 7 pi/4

don't know how to do this one...

3) cos(pi + 301 pi/2)
    they simplify to = pi + 75*2pi + pi/2 then somehow simplify to pi + pi/2=0...but what happened to the 75*2pi? again any help is appreciated!

2. Streetwolf

Streetwolf Ultra Senior Member
    Dentist 7+ Year Member

Dentist
    1) tan -3pi/4 is just sin(-3pi/4) / cos(-3pi/4). If you think about the circle (and remember you are traveling CLOCKWISE since it's negative), you'll end up in the third quadrant. That means sin and cos are both -sqrt(2) / 2. So since they're the same value, you get 1 when you divide them.

2) cos (7pi/4) is in the 4th quadrant. Notice that 8pi/4 is the same as 2pi so we're really just pi/4 away from a full 360 degrees. Since it's the 4th quadrant and it's cosine, it must be +sqrt(2)/2. Remember that all (n*pi)/4 with n = an odd integer are sqrt(2)/2, either + or -. Same for sine. But 4th quadrant for sine = negative value. So you end up getting sqrt(2)/2 - sqrt(2)/2 = 0.

3) 75*2pi disappears because this just makes you circle around 75 full times. Every 2pi is one full period. So cos(4) is the same as cos (4+2pi) which is the same as cos(4+4pi). You're in the same spot except you've just cycled around one or more times. In this case, 75 full times. After those 75 times you are left with an additional 3pi/2. That's what you need to solve - cos(3pi/2).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...