Eating during DAT break

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STACM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who have taken the DAT, were you allowed to eat during your break? I was thinking of bringing a sandwich. Or should I just eat a huge meal beforehand?

Members don't see this ad.

I suppose you could. I had a bunch of skittles that I brought with me to give me a second wind for the last half.

For people who have taken the DAT, were you allowed to eat during your break? I was thinking of bringing a sandwich. Or should I just eat a huge meal beforehand?

I hear that doing thinking intensive tasks like taking the DAT or studying on a full stomach makes it more difficult to recall knowledge. I'm not sure if that's true, but from personal experience concentration comes easier when I'm not full but not so hungry I can't think about anything but food.

I just took the DAT today and you can bring food. They give you a little 1' by 1' locker to put your keys, wallet, and snack in. I would not recommend eating a big meal beforehand, it tends to make people sluggish and you need to be on top of your game. I took an apple and juice, but a sandwich would be good too. Just something to give you a little boost between sessions. Just remember that you only have 15 minutes, and they go by pretty quickly. Also, don't drink a lot of water before the test, there's nothing more distracting than having to pee during a timed test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear that doing thinking intensive tasks like taking the DAT or studying on a full stomach makes it more difficult to recall knowledge. I'm not sure if that's true, but from personal experience concentration comes easier when I'm not full but not so hungry I can't think about anything but food.

I agree with ANdy and Epic. Don't eat too much and also don't eat at the break. Keep on doing the test. It's just 4 and half hours, and you will be much focused without the break, rather than stressing yourself out during the break. Just eat enough [and not too much ] before you leave home for the test [I would say a good jam breakfast if you are taking the test around 9 am, or a big pancake with a small cup of milk anytime elsse, before leaving home], so you won't feel hungry for 4 hours and half. Overall, we are not supposed to eat something in every 5 hours, are we?
I'm taking mine at 8:30 on July, 22nd, when my mind is going to be so fresh early in the morning.

You are allow to eat during your break. For me, I ate something very light and took sip of my energy drink to keep me awake. But keep in time with your break, they computer will automatically start the reading section once time break is over.

Lol, I went with the same skittle method for my break also. You definately do not want to eat anything substantial.

I suppose you could. I had a bunch of skittles that I brought with me to give me a second wind for the last half.

I dont get it, since when has taking a test on a full stomach lowered a person's performance on a test? I know being hungry would deffinetly be worse than being full while taking the DAT, and I dont think I could survive on just skittles (or any small snack). If I eat cereal at 8 am, take the test at 9:30am, ill for sure be getting hungry around 11-12, and the test wont be over until 2 pm! If I can't eat at the testing center, I was just gonna eat a big sandwich right before I start the test.

I would suggest eating "Product 19" cereal for breakfest before DAT because it contains 100% of all daily vitamins and minerals..............j/k:p.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable while taking the test. Reward yourself with a nice meal after you get a nice score that night.

I would suggest eating "Product 19" cereal for breakfest before DAT because it contains 100% of all daily vitamins and minerals..............j/k:p.

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable while taking the test. Reward yourself with a nice meal after you get a nice score that night.

Drhoya, what time are you gonna take yours? I'm taking mine at 8:30 am. Gonna wake up 6:30 in the morning. Have a relax breakfast till 7. Get ready till 7:20 ish, and ask my dad to drive me to the test center. I don't even wanna drive on that day.

Can you bring water to the computer?

I belive you cannot. At my testing center, I was required to take everything out of my pockets and only bring my ID, that was the only thing allowed on my desk (excluding markers and laminate paper provided). I went for the water fountain on break, though! :thumbup: