Eating healthy during inpt months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CautiousLearner

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m about to start my second inpt month as an intern. I am looking for guidance on healthy eating during this month. I’m a stress eater, vegetarian and have a hankering for sweet foods. Things that act against me during this month.
ive tired days when I have a smaller “healthier” breakfast, that leaves me feeling hungry. I’ve tried skipping lunches, but don’t function as well on empty stomach. There are days when my lunch comes at 4 pm and then there are days whenmy next meal isn’t till 6:30pm.
Additionally, any sugar free snacks during the shift or to eat at home in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I keep around me cups of things that are food when you add hot water, like oatmeal, instant coffee, tea, herbal tea, cup noodles. I could keep that in the workroom plus a bowl/spoon and extras like sugar packets or splenda.

I always had some oatmeal for breakfast, quick, easy. Make at home eat during commute in car or even while pre-rounding on computer.

I have a vitamix, and I use it every day with half banana, half apple, smattering of frozen berry mix, 2 tablespoons whole flax seed, couple big spoonfuls of nonfat yogurt, tablespoon of whey protein powder, splash of unsweetened cranberry juice, if I'm feeling wild a handful of green veggie like spinach and a couple chopped baby carrots, the juice of a fresh whole lime or lemon. You could use store bought juice. Enough water to blend well, mix 2 tsps of psyllium husk for fiber last to avoid it gelling too much. Sometimes I add prunes or dates or plums for even more fiber.

My BMs are off the chain. This is a super food with tons of your fiber, antioxidants, probiotics, protein, omega 3s, vitamin C, calcium. It's affordable and despite the description quick and easy. It's great for my satiety and I can do it in the morning or the evening. Sweet, tangy, delicious, hydrating, and it can replace a meal. I get my daily fruit, that's for sure. I buy more fresh fruit now to eat, because if it sucks or starts to go bad, in the freezer and the smoothie it goes. Easy to customize or do different things.

My snacks tend to be nuts, low fat mozarella sticks.

I got an Instant Pot and wish I had had it in residency. Soak dry beans in water overnight, then pressure cook with bay leaf half onion some salt and garlic cloves ready to eat in 30 min and so cheap and fast. Also a 30/30/30 black japonica, brown, and wild rice mix ready in 30 min. I make a big batch on alternating days and have beans and rice for a lot of different meal combos. Lentils take like 10 min. Artichokes will cook in 45 min. Couple chickpeas and the vitamix and you have your own hummus.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hello,
I’m about to start my second inpt month as an intern. I am looking for guidance on healthy eating during this month. I’m a stress eater, vegetarian and have a hankering for sweet foods. Things that act against me during this month.
ive tired days when I have a smaller “healthier” breakfast, that leaves me feeling hungry. I’ve tried skipping lunches, but don’t function as well on empty stomach. There are days when my lunch comes at 4 pm and then there are days whenmy next meal isn’t till 6:30pm.
Additionally, any sugar free snacks during the shift or to eat at home in general?
Ugh I feel like you are describing me. I just put a certain amount of calories in the lunchbox and stick to it. The hospital always has extra sweets which I try to limit but since I know I have issues I make sure that my lunch is limited and doesn’t contain sweets.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm. Maybe some boiled eggs? I don't love them, but that way I don't OD on them.

I just put a certain amount of calories in the lunchbox and stick to it. The hospital always has extra sweets which I try to limit but since I know I have issues I make sure that my lunch is limited and doesn’t contain sweets.
This is exactly what I do too--hopefully if I'm stressed, that means I'm too busy to go find more food, so I'm kind of stuck with what I have.

In terms of healthy snacks--I love grapes. They take up a good amount of space with very few calories. Skinny Pop is good too.

For snacking - fruit, veggies, popcorn, frozen yogurt bars, some protein bars, coffee, diet soda or tea
Anything that you like to eat but the low calorie alternative (egg whites, low calorie wraps, PB2, sugar free jam, sugar free pudding).
Learn how to cook and meal prep and stick to it.
I avoid high calorie dense foods for snacks since I never get full or satiated but get tons of calories (granola bars, nuts, dried fruits, chocolate).

Hello,

Everyone's body reacts differently and depends on your routine.

A.) Easy Meals:
1. Dry Oatmeal+Whey+Water
It gets you your protein/carbs. Cheap. Extremely quick to prepare. Doesn't need to be refrigerated. Tastes better than you'd think. Clean up is low maintenance. Some people with difficulty digesting the whey protein complain of nausea or bloating so add more oatmeal if this happens to increase your digestive juices.

2. Granola Bars:
Great if you're OK with the added sugar and find one you can afford to pay for daily as it's no mess/portable. Protein bars are OK too but you need your carbs/essential fats too.

3. Healthy Choice Frozen packs
Good if you have a freezer to store them and microwave to heat them up. Same goes for those frozen breakfast/lunch burritoes.

4. Instapot Meals:
I would invest in an Instapot. I used to meal-prep weekly which led to poor adherence given taste-fatigue, time needed to cook a week's worth of food. Just go buy pre-packaged seasoned rice, mixed frozen veggies, chicken/tumeric/garlic/marinade. There's tons of ways to cook this in 20 minutes including prep and clean up time. Now I cook on my day off for the week and it lasts for two days and then I just cook once in the middle of the week again if I need to. It's not perfect but I can afford to just buy food on days I don't have food.

B.) Tips:
1. Avoid Simple Carbohydrates:
They just get your digestive juices flowing for more and trick your body into craving more. Also, sugar free in moderation is good but watch out because it'll make you crave stuff later for similar reasons.

2. Try Intermittent Fasting:
Try it and see if it works. 8 HRs of eating (usually lunch/dinner), 16 HRs not eating. It doesn't work for me because I need my food to think, but some ppl do it and love it.

3. Large early breakfast plan: (what works best for me)
I wake up earlier than most, work-out, then chart check at home while consuming a very large breakfast (eggs, potatoes, avocado +/- rice/quinoa etc then I drink a lot of water. Makes mornings very productive. I am unfortunately hungry again at 10 am which is not an appropriate time to break off so I eat a protein bar or if I have time grab my dry oatmeal/whey mix from my backpack and gulp it down. I'm then hungry again by like 2-3 pm which is a more acceptable time. If things are going well, my interns are busy doing their tasks and CM/discharges/follow up items are done so I can eat my Instapot meal. I try not to and often don't feel the need to eat after 6. Usually in bed between 9-10.

4. Keep your exercise/sleep routine consistent. Change one and your appetite patterns change too.

Last edited:
My advice is to do more, not less when it comes to eating healthy. Instead of focusing on restricting calories, it is easier to focus on stuffing yourself with protein and fiber.

An easy start to the day is throwing peanut butter, yogurt, berries, granola, and protein powder in a bowl. Satisfying, good amount of calories, lots of protein/fat to keep you satiated. How about an entire can of beans and 10 egg whites for dinner? That is literally around 500 calories. Can you imagine how stuffed you would feel eating like that? Do that 3 times in a day, and you are satiated all day and only consuming 1500 calories. Do you see how a “protein first“ style can prevent overconsumption of junk food?

If you focus on a “protein first” eating style, it is difficult to overeat due to the satiation of protein sources. Focus on protein and stuff yourself ad-lib, and it is difficult to eat like trash after.

My advice is to do more, not less when it comes to eating healthy. Instead of focusing on restricting calories, it is easier to focus on stuffing yourself with protein and fiber.

An easy start to the day is throwing peanut butter, yogurt, berries, granola, and protein powder in a bowl. Satisfying, good amount of calories, lots of protein/fat to keep you satiated. How about an entire can of beans and 10 egg whites for dinner? That is literally around 500 calories. Can you imagine how stuffed you would feel eating like that? Do that 3 times in a day, and you are satiated all day and only consuming 1500 calories. Do you see how a “protein first“ style can prevent overconsumption of junk food?

If you focus on a “protein first” eating style, it is difficult to overeat due to the satiation of protein sources. Focus on protein and stuff yourself ad-lib, and it is difficult to eat like trash after.
I fart enough throughout the day sans beans, I don't know man....

• Haha
I soak my beans for 12 hours and rinse well before cooking, seems to help with the farting.

• Haha
Everyone's body reacts differently and depends on your routine.

A.) Easy Meals:
1. Dry Oatmeal+Whey+Water
It gets you your protein/carbs. Cheap. Extremely quick to prepare. Doesn't need to be refrigerated. Tastes better than you'd think. Clean up is low maintenance. Some people with difficulty digesting the whey protein complain of nausea or bloating so add more oatmeal if this happens to increase your digestive juices.

2. Granola Bars:
Great if you're OK with the added sugar and find one you can afford to pay for daily as it's no mess/portable. Protein bars are OK too but you need your carbs/essential fats too.

3. Healthy Choice Frozen packs
Good if you have a freezer to store them and microwave to heat them up. Same goes for those frozen breakfast/lunch burritoes.

4. Instapot Meals:
I would invest in an Instapot. I used to meal-prep weekly which led to poor adherence given taste-fatigue, time needed to cook a week's worth of food. Just go buy pre-packaged seasoned rice, mixed frozen veggies, chicken/tumeric/garlic/marinade. There's tons of ways to cook this in 20 minutes including prep and clean up time. Now I cook on my day off for the week and it lasts for two days and then I just cook once in the middle of the week again if I need to. It's not perfect but I can afford to just buy food on days I don't have food.

B.) Tips:
1. Avoid Simple Carbohydrates:
They just get your digestive juices flowing for more and trick your body into craving more. Also, sugar free in moderation is good but watch out because it'll make you crave stuff later for similar reasons.

2. Try Intermittent Fasting:
Try it and see if it works. 8 HRs of eating (usually lunch/dinner), 16 HRs not eating. It doesn't work for me because I need my food to think, but some ppl do it and love it.

3. Large early breakfast plan: (what works best for me)
I wake up earlier than most, work-out, then chart check at home while consuming a very large breakfast (eggs, potatoes, avocado +/- rice/quinoa etc then I drink a lot of water. Makes mornings very productive. I am unfortunately hungry again at 10 am which is not an appropriate time to break off so I eat a protein bar or if I have time grab my dry oatmeal/whey mix from my backpack and gulp it down. I'm then hungry again by like 2-3 pm which is a more acceptable time. If things are going well, my interns are busy doing their tasks and CM/discharges/follow up items are done so I can eat my Instapot meal. I try not to and often don't feel the need to eat after 6. Usually in bed between 9-10.

4. Keep your exercise/sleep routine consistent. Change one and your appetite patterns change too.
could you share your daily routine/schedule? just very generally. I'm curious how you fit working out and your shifts together, along with whatever other responsibilities you have

I have started a new resolution ahead of the New Year to spend 20 min a day on my musculoskeletal health. I use free youtube videos. It can be ANYTHING - even just gentle stretching, chair aerobics/strengthening, a walk, a jog. The fact you can do it from home with no equipment is helpful. Depends how much time/energy etc I have how vigorous. I feel better just doing *something* and as I think a lot of people can get pulled into perfectionism in our field, it helps keep the bar low enough to be achievable and sustainable.

If you are currently doing nothing, I highly recommend starting with this plan.

The most low-key "worthless" days, I can skip a dedicated YouTube video and just do whatever stretches off the top of my head while watching an episode of TV.

I lived alone during my all my education/training, so I'll reveal that one way I, as j4pac once asked me, watched so much sci-fi tv, was that I would always put on at least one episode a night. That was often my time to sit and eat dinner, stretch, do my dishes/pick up apartment, and I would often fall asleep to it. Less than ideal habit as far as sleep hygiene/screen time etc. Not saying the TV part is essential, but for me at least it was part of my "decompress" and if you multitask not something you have to feel is a timewaste.

Anyway, even the busy resident needs to sit down to eat dinner, do the dishes in the sink, or take a few minutes to fall asleep. You could substitute music or tik tok or whatever your jam. Point is, you could incorporate a little stretch or sweat and get 20 min of something in.

Most residents I knew also did as many stairs at work as possible for fitness reasons as well.

could you share your daily routine/schedule? just very generally. I'm curious how you fit working out and your shifts together, along with whatever other responsibilities you have
Internal Medicine resident. I am not serious lifter but like to work out 4x a week, hit all major muscle groups weekly, and stay somewhat lean so I incorporate running too.

1.) Daily Routine: This is idealized and sometimes things get very messed up.

-Wake Up 3:30-5:30. If I'm on CICU it's closer to 3:30, if it's clinic 5:30 is good. ICU, Inpatient Medicine, Electives all fit on a spectrum.
-Workout for 45 mins. I invested in a power-rack with build in dip, pull up, deadlift functions. The rack, olympic bar, 2" plates all together are $1000 but it was a great investment especially with COVID+/- future pandemics. I want everything in one place and don't like traveling to the gym.
-Shower, Protein, Make Breakfast for 15 minutes
-Chart review while eating usually takes an hour. I take a long time because I want every detail and not just the big picture because sometimes my interns make mistakes.
-Drive to work. My target is arriving at work 90 minutes before the attending expects me and the intern to be ready. I see everyone, refill potassiums, ensure discharge summaries, instructions, etc. are done, and come up with a plan for each patient. 15-30 minutes before rounds I try to meet with my intern to discuss plans and by 8 I touch base with CMs to make sure we are on the same page for discharges.
-Rounding goes from 830-12. In the middle, I usually get hungry because I eat breakfast so early so I have to have something handy to eat quickly.
-Usually at this point there's a noon conference so I RTL with the intern(s) and dismiss them so they can do their work in peace. I call/text CMs at this time with any changes on my way to conference because I think walking CM rounds is a gigantic waste of time. Attendings do it because they can see patients while hitting up the CMs. I just have all their numbers saved. I skip conference if there are sick patients, complicated discharges, etc.
-From 1pm-2pm I'm usually following up on labs, putting in orders, ensuring all our teams notes are in/accurate, and texting my intern/attending with updates in the workroom and I can eat during this time too.
-From 2-230 I come back to floors and meet with families (or call which has allowed me to stay in the workroom).
-At around 3 I meet with the attending to run the list, agree on contingency plans for sick patients, discuss discharges.
-By 430-5 we are doing sign out. I leave immediately after. Note, it doesn't matter how great of a senior you are and how much you teach. If you're not out by 5, your evaluation from your intern will be subpar, especially if they're not categorical.

Honestly after that on weekdays I don't have much time to do much when I get home and get settled around 6. I try to be in bed by 8-10 depending on rotation so that gives me about 2-3 hours to do research, study for boards, I make it a point to spend an hr facetiming my GF or parents and watching a show. Then I rinse and repeat. On my day off the schedule is inverted and I spend 3 hours doing work and 10 hrs chilling, meal-prepping, laundry, etc. I also use the time to go to the gym to do miscellaneous exercises like hamstring curls and a few other things I don't have built in to my set up but recently I completely gave up on my membership.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I second the fasting idea. I do 20 hours fasting 4 hours eating and that gives me far more control because I’m not hungry until about an hour before I usually eat.

I’m not sure I would be able to do this eating such carb/sucrose-heavy foods as have been suggested here so many times that fluctuate blood sugar so much, creating those hunger pangs. I eat a very low carb, high fat diet which personally gives me smooth energy and high focus and almost no cravings.

it’s something to look into and think about if your primary goal is to not have to be bothered with hunger and low energy in a situation where you can’t always control when you can eat and the quality can suffer. This way the quality can be high as well as energy, at least in my case.

I recommend looking into resources from Dr. Peter Attia on this subject.

Internal Medicine resident. I am not serious lifter but like to work out 4x a week, hit all major muscle groups weekly, and stay somewhat lean so I incorporate running too.

-Wake Up 3:30-5:30. If I'm on CICU it's closer to 3:30, if it's clinic 5:30 is good. ICU, Inpatient Medicine, Electives all fit on a spectrum.
-Workout for 45 mins. I invested in a power-rack with build in dip, pull up, deadlift functions. The rack, olympic bar, 2" plates all together are $1000 but it was a great investment especially with COVID+/- future pandemics. I want everything in one place and don't like traveling to the gym.
-Chart review while eating usually takes an hour. I take a long time because I want every detail and not just the big picture because sometimes my interns make mistakes.
-Drive to work. My target is arriving at work 90 minutes before the attending expects me and the intern to be ready. I see everyone, refill potassiums, ensure discharge summaries, instructions, etc. are done, and come up with a plan for each patient. 15-30 minutes before rounds I try to meet with my intern to discuss plans and by 8 I touch base with CMs to make sure we are on the same page for discharges.
-Rounding goes from 7-12. In the middle, I usually get hungry because I eat breakfast so early so I have to have something handy to eat quickly.
-Usually at this point there's a noon conference so I RTL with the intern(s) and dismiss them so they can do their work in peace. I call/text CMs at this time with any changes on my way to conference because I think walking CM is a gigantic waste of time. I skip conference if there are sick patients, complicated discharges, etc.
-From 1pm-2pm I'm usually following up on labs, putting in orders, ensuring all our teams notes are in/accurate, and texting my intern/attending with updates in the workroom and I can eat during this time too.
-From 2-230 I come back to floors and meet with families (or call which has allowed me to stay in the workroom).
-At around 3 I meet with the attending to run the list, agree on contingency plans for sick patients, discuss discharges.
-By 430-5 we are doing sign out. I leave immediately after.

Honestly after that on weekdays I don't have much time to do much when I get home and get settled around 6. I try to be in bed by 8-10 depending on rotation so that gives me about 2-3 hours to do research, study for boards, I make it a point to spend an hr facetiming my GF or parents and watching a show. Then I rinse and repeat. On my day off the schedule is inverted and I spend 3 hours doing work and 10 hrs chilling, meal-prepping, laundry, etc. I also use the time to go to the gym to do miscellaneous exercises like hamstring curls and a few other things I don't have built in to my set up but recently I completely gave up on my membership.

Hope that helps!
thanks so much for the breakdown!!

-Rounding goes from 7-12. In the middle, I usually get hungry because I eat breakfast so early so I have to have something handy to eat quickly.
-Usually at this point there's a noon conference so I RTL with the intern(s) and dismiss them so they can do their work in peace. I call/text CMs at this time with any changes on my way to conference because I think walking CM is a gigantic waste of time. I skip conference if there are sick patients, complicated discharges, etc.
-By 430-5 we are doing sign out. I leave immediately after.

Hope that helps!
I got tired just reading this. You're either on cocaine, Adderall, pcp, or a combination of them, because there is no way in hell you're able to do all that. It reads like something someone would wish they could accomplish in a day if they were superhuman...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I got tired just read this. You're either on cocaine, Adderall, pcp, or a combination of them, because there is no way in hell you're able to do all that. It reads like something someone would wish they could accomplish in a day if they were superhuman...
1608364962085.jpeg

I got tired just read this. You're either on cocaine, Adderall, pcp, or a combination of them, because there is no way in hell you're able to do all that. It reads like something someone would wish they could accomplish in a day if they were superhuman...
I especially lol'd at the idea of a senior that not only spends 30 min going over the plan with the intern, but also repletes lytes. I don't know who you are buddy but I would have sucked dicks my intern year for a senior like you. If this is for real hats off to you.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users