ECC surgery experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredvm297

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into ER internships/residencies on the Match, but am struggling to find ones that do emergency surgery. Now I know most specialty hospitals have their surgeons do surgeries that come into the ER, but I want something where I can learn how to do the surgery so I can do them in practice. Does anyone have any experience with a program or know one where the ER clinicians do the surgeries?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking into ER internships/residencies on the Match, but am struggling to find ones that do emergency surgery. Now I know most specialty hospitals have their surgeons do surgeries that come into the ER, but I want something where I can learn how to do the surgery so I can do them in practice. Does anyone have any experience with a program or know one where the ER clinicians do the surgeries?
Most traditional internships are going to be at ERs where the surgery service cuts vs. the receiving ER doctor, for better or worse. You'll likely need to either come in on your off time for surgery experience or I'm sure there are some programs that cut, but they're probably pretty far and few between.

If you PM me I can send you info on my company's (non-match) internship, but it is not wholly ER - our interns rotate through ERs, GP, spay-neuter, etc so may not be what you're interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in a rotating internship (i.e. not an ECC specific one, but one that is ER heavy) where interns do get primary surgical experience both through ER and through our surgery rotation. PM me for more info

Check out VCA Valley (Arizona). I toured them and was super interested at one point because they have a touch of zoo med in their program (I elected not to rank them after the tour, but don't let that stop you, it was a personal thing). When I toured them, they had a white board with all of the interns, and which surgeries they had/had not done (It's been a few years, but I remember ex-lap being on that board among other things I can't recall).

With that being said, you're just going to need to do a bit of leg work to see which programs allow you to be lead surgeon. Some might list it in their description of the program, others you may need to contact.