ECFMG certification and step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

all41

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone!
Please! I need your advice in solving or bypassing problematic formal procedures.
I am an IMG, starting residency in the US on June 15th. I graduated on Dec. 2003, but my med school provides the MDs during a formal ceremony at the end of May 2004. ECFMG refuses to provide me with the certification until then, even though I have a formal letter from my school, which confirms my graduation and my present eligibility for the MD. This prevents me from taking step 3! I really wanted to take step 3 before residency begins, now that I have time.
Do you have any advice for me? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is to not try and fight ECFMG (or any other large corporation). I agree it will be nice to have Step 3 out of the way, but you can take it during residency, since I doubt ECFMG will bend their rules for you.

Kimberli Cox said:
My advice is to not try and fight ECFMG (or any other large corporation). I agree it will be nice to have Step 3 out of the way, but you can take it during residency, since I doubt ECFMG will bend their rules for you.

And you need the ECFMG certificate to start residency! Make sure you have sent your transcripts and everything else (TOEFL) to be eligible for the ECFMG certificate after you receive your diploma. It could possibly take more than a few days to issue you the ECFMG certificate after you send them a copy of your diploma. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
addicted2hope said:
And you need the ECFMG certificate to start residency! Make sure you have sent your transcripts and everything else (TOEFL) to be eligible for the ECFMG certificate after you receive your diploma. It could possibly take more than a few days to issue you the ECFMG certificate after you send them a copy of your diploma. Good luck!

Definitely have EVERYTHING else sans the diploma into ECFMG because it WILL take more than a few days (and dollars) to process. Some programs will let you start without the certificate in hand as long as its being processed; check just in case it takes more than 6 weeks (especially if your diploma is being mailed from a foreign country with unreliable mail).

Thanks.
I have everything else prepared in the hands of ECFMG.

Kimberli Cox said:

True, but perhaps the school will? Which is it, their being a bit anal about this.