ECG computer analysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a 2nd year medical student, but was curious - do any physicians actually rely on or even look at the computer interpretation of the ECG? How accurate are these interpretations?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Look at, yes. Rely, never. Almost always accurate for interval measurements and whatnot, sure, but have seen more than a few be wrong about determining rhythm or overcalling (or not calling) an MI.

Reactions: 3 users
Look at, yes. Rely, never. Almost always accurate for interval measurements and whatnot, sure, but have seen more than a few be wrong about determining rhythm or overcalling (or not calling) an MI.

Best answer you could possibly get to this question, right here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a 2nd year medical student, but was curious - do any physicians actually rely on or even look at the computer interpretation of the ECG? How accurate are these interpretations?
Do you know which physicians rely on computer ECG interpretations?

Defendants.

Reactions: 3 users
In med school and residency, our attending would fold the top of the ekg back so you couldn't see it. Then ask you to interpret it. It's a good habit to get into.

I read the EKG. Then look at the computer read. If it has something I don't agree make sure there isn't something I'm missing.

Reactions: 1 users
best interpretation
1. you + computer
2. you
3. computer
worst interpretation

it adds some value in case you overlook something. you need to know how to read EKGs though. and know how the computer got to each of its results.

In med school and residency, our attending would fold the top of the ekg back so you couldn't see it. Then ask you to interpret it. It's a good habit to get into.

i had residents do that too
it's a pretty cool way to learn

I think you can turn the computer interp off on many of these machines. The computers are good at measuring rate andintervals, PR, QTc, etc but weak at most else.

Last edited:
Had one "computer" reading two shifts ago that called a true 3rd degree heart block.... "Second-degree, Type-1".

The MLP discharged the patient. My name on the chart. I never saw the EKG until the bounceback.

Patient is fine. No damage.

You best be sure that I'm going to have a talk with the MLP. Here's the real kicker; the patient had full workup (by MLP), and I was only talked to briefly to select an antibiotic for her "URI". No mention of EKG findings.

Moral of the story? Supervise your MLPs. Hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Had one "computer" reading two shifts ago that called a true 3rd degree heart block.... "Second-degree, Type-1".

The MLP discharged the patient. My name on the chart. I never saw the EKG until the bounceback.

You best be sure that I'm going to have a talk with the MLP. Here's the real kicker; the patient had full workup (by MLP), and I was only talked to briefly to select an antibiotic for her "URI". No mention of EKG findings.

wtf...

^^Yep, fold back, read and interpret, unfold, if computer findings differed figure out why you're right / comp is wrong or vice versa

Does your ED not require the doc to interpret every EKG? Even then something can be missed if your colleague looks at it very quickly.

There is a policy where the doc needs to look at every EKG, but this is sometimes not actually what happens - part-timers don't know this, and the locums just don't care.

Here's how this fell thru the cracks. Patient got to the ED 2 hours prior to my shift. Doc "on-duty" should have looked at it; probably didn't. After workup is done, MLP aks me to dispo patient, and "lists" the patient as being under my care. I never got to see the EKG. This MLP, in particular, is 8 months out of PA school, and doesn't know what she doesn't know. Worse than that; she doesn't want to hear that she could be wrong.

Good for Rhythm (mostly) but much worse for ischaemia. They are pretty good at picking up a STEMI though. I think they are important because there will times you are overwhelmed with tons of stuff and when a tech shoves an EKG in your face, seeing "ACUTE MI" on the reading makes you focus on it a bit more despite your (most likely) sleep-deprived state.

There is a policy where the doc needs to look at every EKG, but this is sometimes not actually what happens - part-timers don't know this, and the locums just don't care.

Here's how this fell thru the cracks. Patient got to the ED 2 hours prior to my shift. Doc "on-duty" should have looked at it; probably didn't. After workup is done, MLP aks me to dispo patient, and "lists" the patient as being under my care. I never got to see the EKG. This MLP, in particular, is 8 months out of PA school, and doesn't know what she doesn't know. Worse than that; she doesn't want to hear that she could be wrong.

...oh god

Yikes! Where I work the techs who do the EKGs hand it to the attending. They stand by you until you sign it so there's no question a doc looked at it.

Yikes! Where I work the techs who do the EKGs hand it to the attending. They stand by you until you sign it so there's no question a doc looked at it.
Ditto. Ours can't even relinquish it to the residents - they can look, but they can't touch until an attending has it.