Economics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Schooling is much easier to get into now, many nonsense degrees, most everyone graduates, participation trophies and safe spaces...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
lmao, so has anybody done anything yet?

Agreed. This isn't an argument to determine who gets to throw the biggest pity party. We are talking in terms of the economy, statistically millennials have it the worst in the entirety of US history and there is no valid excuse this time. Their was no evil empire to overthrow just many poor decsisions and a complete lack of caring of the future and future generations. The 1920's and the gilded age are very similar to where we find ourselves now. Statistically, we are now much worse off than in either situation.

The core of the issue, and why so many are in complete denial is that from the perspective of someone who worked a career from 1980 to 2020, retired with their pension, only worked at a couple different companies at most, job security, advancement potential, raises, ability to negotiate and relocate when desired there is no problem and they cannot see or feel the problem. They look at their multi-million dollar retirement account and then hear someone "whine" about adversity and the well drying up and the easy, lazy, emotional response is to say that it's their fault. What motive would you have for researching the facts and becoming educated on the subject when you're headed out the door anyway and can just say, "see ya suckers, dont whine" on the way out?

Does anyone actually think it's a coincidence that for the first time in history the world is looking at the previous generation and wondering, what the hell happened? I can clearly elucidate and explain with facts and statistics what has transpired over the pat 40 years. Every time I hear a boomer talk on the subject, the response is always some vague deflective statement. Why do you think the world is collectively calling out this problem. "Because millennials collectively decided to be lazy without explanation" and without providing any supportive facts is not an acceptable answer. Apparently, the educational system was a dumpster fire back then too if you can't even identify common logical fallacies and biases in your arguments, cite sources, or discuss and understand basic psychology in why people make certain arguments.
At least college degrees back then made you more likely to get a better job than not going to college. Now there's such a glut of college grads employer's can choose them for very low paying jobs.
I'm not saying they're lazy. But they get themselves in large college debt with no clear career plan.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At least college degrees back then made you more likely to get a better job than not going to college. Now there's such a glut of college grads employer's can choose them for very low paying jobs.
I'm not saying they're lazy. But they get themselves in large college debt with no clear career plan.

This is all so true.
The other issue is the dumbing down of high schools. Unlike in the past,employers can no longer be sure that a high school graduate can do basic reading and math. So employers have started to demand college degrees, for minimum wage jobs that only require a high school education, because they are more likely to get someone who can do basic reading and math, if they have a college degree.

Reactions: 1 users
...So employers have started to demand college degrees, for minimum wage jobs that only require a high school education, because they are more likely to get someone who can do basic reading and math, if they have a college degree.
Really? Which minimum wage jobs require a college degree?

Really? Which minimum wage jobs require a college degree?
Employers now have a choice. So they choose people with college degrees. There's a glut of people with them. I see people with college degrees working at bookstores, etc. Makes sense from an employer standpoint.
However, as an employer, some of these graduates have not turned out well for me. Some I have had are entitled and have poor work ethic. Maybe trophies for everyone in college too? Or their degrees we're too easy so work now is too hard?

Last edited:
Employers now have a choice. So they choose people with college degrees. There's a glut of people with them. I see people with college degrees working at bookstores, etc. Makes sense from an employer standpoint.
Lmao, they always had that choice if a college student or degree holder applies. Requiring a college degree to work as a cashier or restocker is not going to fly for any business though.

Lmao, they always had that choice if a college student or degree holder applies. Requiring a college degree to work as a cashier or restocker is not going to fly for any business though.
The difference now is that's there's so many people underemployed with college degrees.
And of course an employer may not require a college degree for cashier or stocker but will be able to choose from many people with those degrees.

Reactions: 3 users
However, as an employer, some of these graduates have not turned out well for me. Some I have had are entitled and have poor work ethic. Maybe trophies for everyone in college too? Or their degrees we're too easy so work now is too hard?

I don't know exactly what capacity those graduates work under you but it might be they're given menial tasks and they expected more from the job. Also, I think it says to someone's work ethic when they went out and worked hard for a college degree vs. a high school graduate who didn't go to college.

I don't know exactly what capacity those graduates work under you but it might be they're given menial tasks and they expected more from the job. Also, I think it says to someone's work ethic when they went out and worked hard for a college degree vs. a high school graduate who didn't go to college.
It's what the market will bear. If there degree doesn't pay, they have to do a good job where they are.
I have no problem doing any job in my office myself when the staff isn't there.
My point is many college degrees aren't hard so they didn't work hard. They just deferred real life and now have a large college bill as well

Maybe you should start hiring people without degrees for a change.

It's what the market will bear. If there degree doesn't pay, they have to do a good job where they are.
My point is many college degrees aren't hard so they didn't work hard. They just deferred real life and now have a large college bill as well

When I was a pharmacy intern at Target, everyone went to the same orientation. Cashiers, cart collectors, cafe workers, apparel, shelf stockers etc. I was surprised by how many new hires had college degrees. Not to be mean but why waste thousands of dollars for a college degree to work the same job as a high school teen? I also had a tech at CVS with a bio degree and no plans for grad school.

I know many adults in their 20s-30s with college degrees who can't calculate how much tip to leave their server without using their iPhone, even if the bill is an even $10. Most colleges are a joke nowadays.

Members don't see this ad :)
So then what do you think about people who didn't go to college?

When I was a pharmacy intern at Target, everyone went to the same orientation. Cashiers, cart collectors, cafe workers, apparel, shelf stockers etc. I was surprised by how many new hires had college degrees. Not to be mean but why waste thousands of dollars for a college degree to work the same job as a high school teen? I also had a tech at CVS with a bio degree and no plans for grad school.

I know many adults in their 20s-30s with college degrees who can't calculate how much tip to leave their server without using their iPhone, even if the bill is an even $10. Most colleges are a joke nowadays.

Maybe those new hires are just at Target to work for a while while they look for a full-time job. Plus looking towards the future a college degree will be better than no college degree.

I have had some very hard workers who didn't do college and aren't under the gun worried about raises all the time to pay for their massive loans

I have had some very hard workers who didn't do college and aren't under the gun worried about raises all the time to pay for their massive loans

Ok, but how far do you expect they'll go long term in their careers?

Ok, but how far do you expect they'll go long term in their careers?
All I need is a front desk person. What they do afterwards isn't my concern. With many of the majors out these, this may be their terminal job with or without a college degree.
The ones with degrees have four years of no pay and 70g college loans

Last edited:
Why should some rando off the street expect more from a front desk job than "menial tasks"?

Why should some rando off the street expect more from a front desk job than "menial tasks"?
Don't y'all sometimes even have to ring people out and tell people what aisle something's in? And u have doctorates.
No reason to throw shade at jobs

Last edited:
I won't make too broad generalizations about people with college degrees vs. people without, but I will say it says something about having a 4 year or even a 2 year degree. I think the average manager would give more responsibility to people with a degree all else being equal.

Having said that even those without a degree can get the work done. The military can give a great education as well.

I can't say too much about the finances about a degree, but with the globalized world we live in a degree is becoming increasingly important. One can get a degree on the cheap by living at home, going to CC etc. But we all know 18 year olds aren't the best at finances so some do spend a ton for their degrees.

I can't believe we would have degree-bashing on SDN, but here we are.

I won't make too broad generalizations about people with college degrees vs. people without, but I will say it says something about having a 4 year or even a 2 year degree. I think the average manager would give more responsibility to people with a degree all else being equal.

Having said that even those without a degree can get the work done. The military can give a great education as well.

I can't say too much about the finances about a degree, but with the globalized world we live in a degree is becoming increasingly important. One can get a degree on the cheap by living at home, going to CC etc. But we all know 18 year olds aren't the best at finances so some do spend a ton for their degrees.

People have to think before paying all that money and missing out on four years of pay.

Their poor decisions shouldn't cost taxpayers

I actually think the degree bashers have a point. Degrees are expensive and not a “golden ticket” at all. Trade schools make a lot more financial sense than many 4 year degrees.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for education but college has become a HUGE profit machine. No wonder you get people questioning if higher education is a worthwhile pursuit.

What is really sad to me is the number of college educated people who have no ability to reason critically.

Reactions: 4 users
People have to think before paying all that money and missing out on four years of pay.

Their poor decisions shouldn't cost taxpayers

How are they costing taxpayers when a college degree usually means increased earnings and increased taxes paid?

I actually think the degree bashers have a point. Degrees are expensive and not a “golden ticket” at all. Trade schools make a lot more financial sense than many 4 year degrees.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for education but college has become a HUGE profit machine. No wonder you get people questioning if higher education is a worthwhile pursuit.

What is really sad to me is the number of college educated people who have no ability to reason critically.

I agree not everyone should go to college, but the middle won't be turning away from them anytime soon.

How are they costing taxpayers when a college degree usually means increased earnings and increased taxes paid?

I agree not everyone should go to college, but the middle won't be turning away from them anytime soon.
As long as taxpayers don't have to pay for poor college decisions I don't care

Reactions: 2 users

when people with useless degrees can't get a job and refuses to work "menial" jobs because they went to college so they end up on government aid lol

also how much money does public schools ask for a year? lol

when people with useless degrees can't get a job and refuses to work "menial" jobs because they went to college so they end up on government aid lol
also how much money does public schools ask for a year? lol

Well, there is a lifetime maximum for welfare, so at some point those college grads will have to take a menial job.

I even know a lawyer who works as a cashier, chances are he will never actually practice law (I forget what his BS was in, but it was one of those majors that also leads to working as a cashier.) That is a huge amount of debt to work as a cashier.

Government financed loans are a HUGE part of this problem. Colleges have no risk, they get paid from the guaranteed loan regardless of the student never gets a job in their major, and regardless if the student never graduates. Government needs to quit backing loans, if a student can't get a loan from a private bank (or from their college), they shouldn't be taking out a loan. There are far more people being made life-long debt slaves from this "easy money", then there are poor students who are being helped by this "easy money."

Well, there is a lifetime maximum for welfare, so at some point those college grads will have to take a menial job.

I even know a lawyer who works as a cashier, chances are he will never actually practice law (I forget what his BS was in, but it was one of those majors that also leads to working as a cashier.) That is a huge amount of debt to work as a cashier.

Government financed loans are a HUGE part of this problem. Colleges have no risk, they get paid from the guaranteed loan regardless of the student never gets a job in their major, and regardless if the student never graduates. Government needs to quit backing loans, if a student can't get a loan from a private bank (or from their college), they shouldn't be taking out a loan. There are far more people being made life-long debt slaves from this "easy money", then there are poor students who are being helped by this "easy money."
I thought Obama changed the amount of welfare...I think it's more than a smaller limit

We had pretty awesome childhoods, though. That's being discounted. The Soviet Union fell...there was no boogie man. The worst thing that happened was Timothy McVeigh and Bill Clinton getting a beej in the Oval Office. Very few had the comfortable upbringings we had. Little to fear. Lots of optimism.

I didn't know Timothy McVeigh got a beejay in the Oval Office. :)