ECs damage control

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zbtb7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi dental students. Could you please answer a question of mine?

I'm planning to apply to dental schools this summer and I've good stats and sufficient shadowing experience. However, I'm worried that my ECs during undergrad aren't sufficient. If I don't have enough ECs from undergrad and I don't get in, would I be able to redeem myself through doing ECs (volunteering and stuff) while I'm working? Would those ECs be as valuable for me as a candidate as those I could have done in undergrad?

Sorry if I'm coming off as paranoid. I'm currently a senior in undergrad and I can't improve my stats anymore. I simply don't know how else I'm to become a better candidate if I don't get in on my first cycle.

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are great. Assuming you're not socially inept at the interview, you're not going to have problems getting in. FWIW, I had a 3.3 with 21 TS and no ECs and I got two acceptances out of nine (?) schools applied.

Your stats are fine and are weighted heavier than ECs anyways. Schools just want to make sure you haven't spent all of your time at school huddled up in a cubicle studying. As long as you demonstrate that you are not only smart, but are outgoing, warm, and likeable, you'll be ok. Just make sure you apply to enough schools the first time around. You'll definitely get interview invitations, just be prepared and make the most of each one so you have the luxury of making a decision of which school to go to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses Vapor1122 and cjb04.

If I don't get in though. Would I still be able to improve my candidacy by acquiring more extracurriculars to make up for not having enough from college?

Last edited:
Pick up a tutoring and/or research job over the summer...I think that should do it (don't overkill). No need to panic though, because I'm sure you'll get something with your stats & shadowing hours--those are more important...

Keep it up! :thumbup: