Ed.D vs. Ph.D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hadashi no Gen

.
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am already familiar with how the Psy.D and Ph.D differ... but I've been noticing that many of my professors and local psychologists have received their doctorate as an Ed.D.

I know that the Ed.D has been around for a while, so I assume that a person holding one would be prepared well for research as well as teaching and clinical work. But, realistically, is there any difference between it and the Ph.D? Or, is it simply a name?

As I consider options for post-master work... are there any things that I should take into consideration when comparing Ed.D and Ph.D programs?

Thanks.