Ed Ego

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUNNEROD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question, I got my undergrad degree in bio 3.56 GPA no plans for med school. My fiancee got his degree in political science and got into Wash U law school so I moved to St. Louis with him and got a job at an ED- just doing tech work. After working there I decided Optometry was for me. Low stress, regular hours, etc. ED physicians are constantly asking me if I am going to nursing school - in which I reply no Optometry. My question is - what do you guys really think about optometry.

Members don't see this ad.

The title of the thread is "Ed Ego" (which I gather you mean "ED" - as in "Emergency Department"), and your question is "what do you guys really think about optometry?"

A little deceptive there, maybe? And do you hold some grudge against EM docs?

No, actually most of the ED docs I work with are awesome and I really do respect them, I'm just wondering what they actually think of optometrists.

I doubt that most EM physicians/staff have particularly well-formed opinions of optometrists as would, say, your avg ophthalmologist.

My question is - what do you guys really think about optometry.

Hi Runnerod -- why does it matter? If you want to do it, do it. Don't let others' (possibly uninformed) opinions change your decision.

Best of luck :)

Seriously, there are many well-educated, informed people that question our decision to become doctors every day. If optometry is what you want, that's all that should matter. No matter what field you enter, others will have pre-conceived notions.

I'm just a med student, but I'm going into EM. I like my optomotrist. I've never heard anything negative said about optomitry anywhere in the hospital.

Chiropractors, on the other hand, have somewhat of a bad rap depending on who you ask. Maybe because in the ED you occasionaly see a patient whose chiropractor dissected their carotid. In my limited experience though, I've yet to see a patient whose optomotrist has caused them serious bodily harm.

Chiropractors, on the other hand, have somewhat of a bad rap depending on who you ask. Maybe because in the ED you occasionaly see a patient whose chiropractor dissected their carotid.

then you've seen a 1/1,000,000 incident. most strokes "caused by chiropractors" are assumed cases. MDs assume the stroke is a patient who got a chiropractic adjustment within the last month MUST have been caused by the adjustment...as opposed to the multiple risk factors of the patient (smoking, HTN, DM, dyslipidemia, etc.). and by the way, if a chiropractic manipulation was gonna pop off an embolus or dissect an artery, it would be in the vertebral arteries not the carotids.

but on the original posters question, i see no problem with going into optometry. the problem i've heard with optometry is that they're not really trained in noticing the pathology in people's eyes. what does an optometrist do other than eye prescriptions?

I've never seen an optometrist, well not in the professional sense, but have no reason not to respect them.

But if you want to know what EM physicians think, why not ask in their forum?

I've never seen an optometrist, well not in the professional sense, but have no reason not to respect them.

But if you want to know what EM physicians think, why not ask in their forum?
I think this was meant as more of a "what do doctors think of ODs?" than "what do EPs specifically think of ODs?" Maybe we can turn this into an MD vs. OD thread. That would be worth it just for the sheer novelty.:D

The question here is actually a little deceptive. I mean, answering "What do you guys think about Optometrists?" is relatively simple: Most of us probably don't think about them at all, except when we need a pair of glasses.

OP: Are you really asking, "Do you consider ODs your equal?" Because that's a whole other issue in itself, and one that is periodically brought up regarding dentists, PAs, NPs, etc.

I agree. Who cares what we think?

I think optometry is what it is.

I'm interested in what optometrists think of EM physicians.;)

My dad's an optometrist and I don't really have a problem with him.:D

then you've seen a 1/1,000,000 incident. most strokes "caused by chiropractors" are assumed cases. MDs assume the stroke is a patient who got a chiropractic adjustment within the last month MUST have been caused by the adjustment...as opposed to the multiple risk factors of the patient (smoking, HTN, DM, dyslipidemia, etc.). and by the way, if a chiropractic manipulation was gonna pop off an embolus or dissect an artery, it would be in the vertebral arteries not the carotids.

but on the original posters question, i see no problem with going into optometry. the problem i've heard with optometry is that they're not really trained in noticing the pathology in people's eyes. what does an optometrist do other than eye prescriptions?

I've seen (after the fact) a pt with bil vertebral arteries ruptured in the chiropr's office during an adjustment... chopper had to pick him up from the table in the office.

I think this was meant as more of a "what do doctors think of ODs?" than "what do EPs specifically think of ODs?"

Perhaps you is right. I misinterpreted the OP's meaning.

Maybe we can turn this into an MD vs. OD thread. That would be worth it just for the sheer novelty.:D

There's a NEW one!:D

I've seen (after the fact) a pt with bil vertebral arteries ruptured in the chiropr's office during an adjustment... chopper had to pick him up from the table in the office.

that doesn't surprise me with the way some chiropractic colleges teach their students. many teach a method involving lots of rotation of the spine --> obviously increasing the chances of vertebral artery problems. dumb way to do it if you ask me. others teach placing the pt. in very little rotation and a thrust of lateral flexion...not too much rotational forces on the spine with this one. also, there's a vertebrobasilar artery screening test we can do to see if a pt already has a problem in either vert. artery.

that doesn't surprise me with the way some chiropractic colleges teach their students. many teach a method involving lots of rotation of the spine --> obviously increasing the chances of vertebral artery problems. dumb way to do it if you ask me. others teach placing the pt. in very little rotation and a thrust of lateral flexion...not too much rotational forces on the spine with this one. also, there's a vertebrobasilar artery screening test we can do to see if a pt already has a problem in either vert. artery.

Neat. So which combination of rotation and lateral flexion will cure my asthma? :D

OP...you do realize the difference in optometry and opthalmology, correct? The ER isn't a place you're going to be finding optometry experience.

OP...you do realize the difference in optometry and opthalmology, correct? The ER isn't a place you're going to be finding optometry experience.
Now, now. Ever since the primary care system in the US crumbled we've been doing more and more primary care, optometry included. In between the tubes and the pelvics I'm sitting in the dark flipping lenses asking "Better or worse?"

I go to an optometrist and he's good. When I have patients who have diabetes or hypertension, stable or not, I send them to ophtho. When if I have an abnormal fundo, I send them to ophtho. I'll send healthy people who need vision screens to optometrists. Or, if they are poor and self pay, I send them to optometrists. Some insurances won't pay unless there's a medical indication to see an optho. In general I think optometrists are good and can screen better than I can. I don't want optometrists performing eye surgery. I'm not comfortable with their training yet for that.

Hopefully, you're getting plenty of exams while you're in the ER. Dilated fundo, fluoroscein, anesthetized tono, and slit lamps. If not, just get your clinical experience in and start opto school and move on. Who cares what ER docs think of optometrists. Obviously, ophthos do the best eye exams (the 20 point exam). In my opinion, Neuro are next in line, followed by FM as these are part of their standard curriculums. Beyond that (EM, IM, Pedi, OB), it's hit or miss based on individual experience/comfort/interest. And beyond even that, like surg, rad, anesthesia, ... hell, path, I don't want you coming near my eye.

Neat. So which combination of rotation and lateral flexion will cure my asthma? :D

:D :D awesome. isn't it crazy some chiropractors believe that? i'm not of that philosophy thankfully. that being said, acupuncture works "magically" in a way i can't explain. i can see the pain control effects via the gate control theory but what about the weight loss and smoking cessation...pretty crazy huh.