EDP applicant deferred to regular applicant pool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigboss18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied EDP to my local state school and was just deferred to the regular applicant pool today. Really sad atm but trying to figure out some regular decision schools I can apply to these next couple of days. Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for schools I should apply to. Here are my stats and experiences:

GPA: 3.9, graduated from public school in the Midwest
MCAT scores: 510, 513, 509
Phi Beta Kappa
Research Accomplishments: Coauthor on 6 abstracts, 2 of which I am first author and presented at national conference
Coauthor on 2 manuscripts, middling authorship (3 and 4)
Lots of research hours (around 2500 hours)

Volunteering and shadowing: 250 hours at my undergrad's university hospital
200 hours HIV test counseling
200 hours through red cross
3 spring break volunteering trips (around 150 hours)
1700 hours AmeriCorps service at homeless clinic
114 hours of shadowing various specialties

Ideally I'm looking for schools that aren't rolling for IIs so that I actually have a chance to get an interview after submitting late. I was also wondering if it's highly unlikely for me to get accepted later by my EDP school, seeing as how I wasn't good enough to get in early

Members don't see this ad.

if it's not a top/mid tier school, I would say it's cause you're too competitive and they want to give EDP spots to less competitive people. Just my guess, I have no idea.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
if it's not a top/mid tier school, I would say it's cause you're too competitive and they want to give EDP spots to less competitive people. Just my guess, I have no idea.
I doubt a school would NOT take an EDP applicant because they're too competitive.. they want that. I'd guess it's because OP took the MCAT 3x and did worse the 3rd

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is why EDP is a bad idea

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
This is why EDP is a bad idea
I feel like EDP is only a good idea if you've been in contact with admissions at the school prior to applying. Otherwise, it's a total crapshoot and screws you if it doesn't work out

Reactions: 3 users
I feel like EDP is only a good idea if you've been in contact with admissions at the school prior to applying. Otherwise, it's a total crapshoot and screws you if it doesn't work out

And this used to be really encouraged by ADCOMS on SDN. Maybe it still is and it’s a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user
And this used to be really encouraged by ADCOMS on SDN. Maybe it still is and it’s a good idea.

I actually did do this and the director of admissions encouraged me to apply EDP, which is why I'm confused why I wasn't selected

Anyways right now I'm in the process of applying to some quick regular decision schools. I was thinking the Jesuit schools (SLU, Creighton, Georgetown, Loyola), Rush and OUWB since I think the strength of my app is in my service hours. I would apply to Tulane but it's pretty late into the cycle for them. What do you all think of those schools and are there any others you would recommend that I apply to?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I’m applying next cycle and will also have been HIV testing and counseling (I was thinking of counting this as clinical volunteering?)

Anyone knows how this looks on an app? Is it fairly standard or is it actually a somewhat unique experience? (I know I can spin it towards either direction, but I genuinely don’t know how common this activity is)

I actually did do this and the director of admissions encouraged me to apply EDP, which is why I'm confused why I wasn't selected

Anyways right now I'm in the process of applying to some quick regular decision schools. I was thinking the Jesuit schools (SLU, Creighton, Georgetown, Loyola), Rush and OUWB since I think the strength of my app is in my service hours. I would apply to Tulane but it's pretty late into the cycle for them. What do you all think of those schools and are there any others you would recommend that I apply to?
The Jesuit schools will love your Americorps volunteering. Good luck. Please let Us know how this cycle works out for you.

Reactions: 1 users

Can you not apply EDP at some schools and then also apply through regular programs to other schools on AMCAS? I thought EDP was just a box you checked on the AMCAS application for that perspective school.

Can you not apply EDP at some schools and then also apply through regular programs to other schools on AMCAS? I thought EDP was just a box you checked on the AMCAS application for that perspective school.

Nope, if you apply EDP you are putting all of your eggs in 1 basket. You can't apply EDP to multiple schools and you can't apply regular decision to any other schools.

Nope, if you apply EDP you are putting all of your eggs in 1 basket. You can't apply EDP to multiple schools and you can't apply regular decision to any other schools.

oh wow that is interesting. You would hope the school would have the courtesy to get back to you by the end of august then.

if it's not a top/mid tier school, I would say it's cause you're too competitive and they want to give EDP spots to less competitive people.
The opposite is true.
EDP can lock in better than average applicants as they can't apply to "better" schools once accepted.
I wonder if the lack of traffic rules is going to affect this restriction...