EDP in general

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman132

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone better explain EDP (Benefits and downfalls)

This is what I understand with EDP:

Benefits:

You can get accepted early (Apply around June and get in early)
You don't have to wait until August (Is it August?) to apply

Downfalls:

You can only apply to one
If you get in and accept you can't apply anywhere else

I don't see how it could really HURT to do EDP..... Can you not do regular decision at other schools even if you don't get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest disadvantage is the fact that you can only apply to one school during this time. Once you find out if you are accepted or rejected (often by the beginning of September), only then will your application be sent to other schools. In this regard, for every other school you are 3 months behind the folks who applied in June.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/programs/63532/early_decision_program_edp.html

So you can apply regularly just one month later? I guess you have to have really strong stats.

Also you have no chance to bargain for financial aid packages.
You can bargain for financial aid? lol never even heard of that. I thought you just took whatever the government wants to give you. How exactly do you "bargain?"

So you can apply regularly just one month later? I guess you have to have really strong stats.

You can bargain for financial aid? lol never even heard of that. I thought you just took whatever the government wants to give you. How exactly do you "bargain?"
Some schools give significant amounts of institutional aid as well as merit scholarships.
Scholarships are often used as recruiting tools to lure top applicants hence there is some bit of gamesmanship you can play into.

I guess you have to have really strong stats.
Yes.

You need amazing numbers that schools will fight over so they can add you to their cumulative stats.

You bargain by saying, "I'd really love to come to your institution, but School A has offered me three times the aid you did. Is it possible you could match my other offer?"

Yes.

You need amazing numbers that schools will fight over so they can add you to their cumulative stats.

You bargain by saying, "I'd really love to come to your institution, but School A has offered me three times the aid you did. Is it possible you could match my other offer?"

Rumor has it...that some schools give $1000 for each post over 2000 on SDN. That's why I am post padding.

Rumor has it...that some schools give $1000 for each post over 2000 on SDN. That's why I am post padding.
Ahhhh. So you plan to use the rarely-heard of, "As an uber-humanitarian, I've posted over 2000 insightful contributions to the mental health and well-being of premeds around the world, and with a better bid, you have the chance of adding me to your ranks" negotiation strategy? Let us know how that goes.

Ahhhh. So you plan to use the rarely-heard of, "As an uber-humanitarian, I've posted over 2000 insightful contributions to the mental health and well-being of premeds around the world, and with a better bid, you have the chance of adding me to your ranks" negotiation strategy? Let us know how that goes.

I do, I do. In my humble opinion, it makes me stand out; if it came down to it, would you take someone with 2000+ posts, or someone with a 44 MCAT? One is obviously much harder to do...